Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think I Broke My Jeep. Please Help!!

I just recently got back from the DUNES (Oceano Dunes). It was our spring break, and I was running it hard out their. Anyways, the drive home went alright, except for one problem. Everytime i go in reverse their would be this weird loud clicking noise! i think its coming from the tranny? im not exactly sure. but it does not sound good at all. It does this in all 2hi, 4hi and 4low. I have no clue whats going on, i thought maybe the linkage of the 4wd got shakened up and moved around a bit, cause it wont now go down to 2hi, and i had to disconnect my rear driveshaft, but yah.. can someone please help me and tell me whats wrong with my REverse!? :S:S
    Kiss my rear differential

hahah, i went to pismo a couple of weekends too, except mines clicking in 2nd gear (just started today), help is appreciated here too. mines a DD (well now its not, i have to drive the acura now...ughhhh just took my top off!!! DAMN IT) so the quicker the help the better. it seems to still drive fine in that gear, just clicking a shit load. my jeeps a 78' cj7 3 spd tranny.
    1978 CJ7, 304 V8, T-150, locked AMC 20 with Superior Axles, Warn M8000, RE 2.5" lift, 31"BFG mudterrains, Naked and dirty 7 months of the year! Cant wait to get more!

Comment

Did you get into the water at all??? Did you drain and look at your fluids in the Tranny and Transfer Case??
      Locked up fourbanger (Poor Mans Rubicon)

Comment

I had that problem for a while. We took apart my front ujoints and cleaned and greased them, and it went away. Im not sure thats your problem, but its a good place to start.

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Yuo may even be on the right track with the shift linkage moving, the link is only secured by one bolt and if it's not tight enough, or was pulled apart slightly it'll stop your transfer case from being able to select anything correctly. What model wrangler do you have?
          Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

I got a 2000 Wrangler TJ . I think what the problem might be, after checking it out some more. I threw it into neutral and set up the linkage correctly. What i notice though, having the jeep in neautral and putting it in reverse, it makes a clicking noise up in the tranny in the bellhousing. Now what i am thinking it might be a chip tooth. I drained out the fluid of the tranny and discovered a chipped off metal piece.. problem solved?????????
            Kiss my rear differential

Comment

Metal in the tranny is never good. Sounds like you broke a tooth of the reverse gear, I just broke third gear off of my t4, mine was much worse than yours, but you are (or soon will be) looking at some tranny work.

Comment

two teeth off 2nd gear seemd to be missing.....the new 2nd gear is coming tuesday hopefully

any know why it was neccesary to take out the counter shaft to take out the main shaft, or if it even was neccesary? that was the first thing both of my books told me to do, it ended up in 50 bearing needles falling out that i gotta put back in now. lol YES, i know i was standing right in the light
                1978 CJ7, 304 V8, T-150, locked AMC 20 with Superior Axles, Warn M8000, RE 2.5" lift, 31"BFG mudterrains, Naked and dirty 7 months of the year! Cant wait to get more!

Comment

OOPS!!
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I think oops is an understatement!!
                    Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

yeah!!!! everything is fixed and in working condition, except for the rear u-joint which is being fixed tomorow after i get off school. got to cruise with the top and doors off today and saw the usualy looks from everbody. My smile is ear to ear again!

Comment

no doors or top is the only way to drive! glad you got eveything back together..

Comment

Working...
                        X