Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual batteries automatically switching to 24V?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual batteries automatically switching to 24V?

Anyone know of anyone who has done such a setup and how they did it? I am going to run 2 batteries in the jeep using an isolator/combiner but am entertaining the idea of automatically reconfiguring them into 24V for winching for example.

I can think of several ways to do it with relays and manual switches (with safety being my #1 concern) so I would like to know if you know of anyone who has done a similar setup and how it has worked out.

The way I have the dual battery setup in my blazer is that the backup is charging all the time but doesn't drain until I flip a switch. Ideally, I would want to have a similar setup and just flip a switch and get the 24V circuit established ...

03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

You better be running a 24 volt winch if you do that.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Yah definitely ... we've been talking about the TMAX 9500 over on the zr2.com site which seems to be a pretty decent winch ... $575 with free shipping so not a bad price at all.
      "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
        Yah definitely ... we've been talking about the TMAX 9500 over on the zr2.com site which seems to be a pretty decent winch ... $575 with free shipping so not a bad price at all.

Seapahn, I am currently testing that winch for Stutz Industries (importer). They have not done 24 volt testing. I am scheduled to do that for them this summer. I have a 6 month durability test I need to finish before I start giving it 24 volts. (FWIW, I have ~500 - 600' worth of cummulative pull on the winch, combination of light and heavy pulls, had the winch submerged under hood-deep water, sun, snow, rain, etc., and the winch has not given me any trouble).

There is a new manufacturing facility being built, and once on line, it will be easier for them to control their quality, and get consistant performance from their winches. That said, I have not been able to break the EW9000 I have installed on the jeep (although I have been trying). The price is very good, and the quality is decent. I would like to run it side by side in some tests with a comperable Warn winch, but so far Warn has not agreed to supply me with a winch for testing.

**edit** It is my understanding that they are currently only producing the EW-6500, EW-9000, EW-10000, and EW 12000. The 9500 is not being produced, but I can verify that if you want.
        Last edited by goodtimes; 03-06-05, 09:33 PM.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

5.5hp12V Series Wound

that winch is not 24v.

are you sure that you arent thinking of paralelling the batteries for higher amperage, rather than voltage?
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
            5.5hp12V Series Wound

that winch is not 24v.

are you sure that you arent thinking of paralelling the batteries for higher amperage, rather than voltage?

Erik, we expect to get a ~25% increase in line speed by putting 24vdc to the 12vdc winch. Very preliminary testing has been done. Nothing in the field yet, to my knowledge.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks for the info Goodtimes ... I also saw your post on zr2. I'll definitely hit ya up before making any purchase as I'm still far from actually getting a winch. Just trying to plan my electrical configuration for now.

Originally posted by NAILER341
              5.5hp12V Series Wound

that winch is not 24v.
              I am just going by them listing 12V and 24V line speed and current draw specs on their site ... otherwise, I don't know. But doubling up at 12V is no biggie as I can do that with a regular combiner. I am looking to get them in series to reduce the current draw and not have as big a voltage drop as you get on the 12V system.

Goodtimes, I am going by the 24V specs they have posted on the web for the 9500. Yours has the 6.6 HP motor, right? The 9500 seems to have the weaker motor but deeper gears (218:1 vs 172.8:1 for the 9000).
              Last edited by seapahn; 03-06-05, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Seapahn, like I mentioned, the last I heard, the EW-9500 is not being produced at this time (I used to be). I can call Stutz and find out if you wish.

Yes, the EW-9000 has the 6.6 hp series wound motor.

Going from 12 volts to 24 volts *should* drop the amp load at stall torque from 550 amps (actual measurement, not advertized) to about 275 amps. You should see less of a voltage drop as well, which is one of the real reasons for putting the batteries in series (the other being increased line speed). But even running another battery in parallel will help with the voltage drop, but not the line speed.

FWIW, even with the increased line speed, your wheel speed will outrun the winch even in 4-lo/1st gear. So the increase in line speed isn't that much of a help (when the vehicle gains traction, it will move faster than the winch line, so you will have to stop forward motion to let the winch catch up).

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                X