Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Fuel Pump Connector

Greetings, this is regarding a 2003 TJ Rubicon. I bought it 6 years ago and it had a 24 Gal. Genright aluminum gas tank, and, I didn't know it at the time, it also had modified smog equipment, missing the canister. After three passed smog tests in 6 years, this last one failed as the test guy noticed no smog canister, and the tank was not California compliant. In order to smog it now, I have to add the canister, and replace the aluminum gas tank with an OEM tank.

I found what was supposed to be a 2003 TJ tank, but the 2003 fuel pump does not fit, too tall. So I tried a 2002 fuel pump thinking that the salvaged tank I got is perhaps from a 2002, not a 2003. The new 2002 fuel pump does fit, but it has a slightly different electrical plug. Still 4-wires, 2 for power and 2 for level indicator.

Question is, can I switch the plugs so that the new pump will plug into the plug on the Jeep. Or does the sending unit on the pump need to be aligned with the computer / year of the vehicle for the gauge to work properly.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Steve

You can ohm the sending unit wires while sweeping the sending unit float. If they ohm the same then should be safe to rewire with the correct connector. I would question why the 2003 pump doesn't fit the 2003 tank before you modify anything.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
      You can ohm the sending unit wires while sweeping the sending unit float. If they ohm the same then should be safe to rewire with the correct connector. I would question why the 2003 pump doesn't fit the 2003 tank before you modify anything.
      Right - that is why I wish I had checked the connectors before installing the pump, and tank! Means I'll have to fill it to meter it but that's ok.

thanks for the idea!

Comment

Working...
      X