Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Kits and Recovery Stuff.

Not sure where to start this thread...

I am looking at building a tool box for my jeep. I am putting together a list of tools and other recovery equipment that would be of use. My goal is to have a tool kit that would let me do as much as possible in the way of trail repairs if I had too.

Does anyone have a list like this that they would like to share.
    AriZonaTJ

======================
    0[_____]0
    .(0IIII0). - 98 TJ, 3"Tera,33" M/Ts
    []===0=[]
    ======================

if you work on your own jeep; any tool you've used on your jeep from the sockets to the screwdrivers would be a good thing to put in a box.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
      if you work on your own jeep; any tool you've used on your jeep from the sockets to the screwdrivers would be a good thing to put in a box.
      Besides the obvious, , I found this thread, What do you carry in your Jeep?, that might be a good start. I know for recovery we carry a couple of heavy duty tow straps, snatch block, winch, and don't forget work gloves!

I usually let Rick pack my toolbag, so we'll see what he has to say.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

bailing wire and duct tape.... and one of those neat pro-comp straps

Comment

oh yeah, i forgot a few things :yawn:

in addition to the regular assortment of hand tools (sockets, screwdrivers, combination wrenches, etc.), I also bring:
          breaker bar, torque wrench, sledgehammer, deadblow hammer, long prybar, 1 qt each of motor oil, power steering fluid, gear oil, and tranny fluid, 1 gal. of antifreeze, 2.5 gal. water, assorted electrical doodads (wire, connectors, electrical tape, fuses, etc.), spare front axleshafts, first aid kit, rags, paper towels, zip ties, u-joints for the front axles and driveshafts, more i'm sure i'm forgetting. Be sure that any unusual size (large or small) tools you use working on your Jeep find their way into yout trail toolbox- the thing that breaks will be the thing that you didn't bring the tool to replace one example would be the socket to remove the hub nut on your front axle.

i really should start bringing spare sensors (CPS, TPS) and a tire patch/plug kit.
          Last edited by cbremer; 01-24-05, 01:06 AM.

Comment

First off, take your tool box and leave it in the garage where it belongs.

Start now and organize by task in bags.

For example-

Tire bag- everything in one bag to work on tires with with the jack and air source being the only exception. Safety Seal plugs, folding lug wrench, air chucks, all the way to and including a folding lug wrench

Brake bag- spare lines, rags, adapters, sealing washers, banjo adapters, and two small containers of brake fluid that are still sealed. If I open one, I replace it.

Recovery bag- Warn snatch block, 50' winch line extension, tree saver, gloves, shackle, spare winch remote.

Those are examples and the majority of my stuff is organized this way.

Do not make the mistake of buy all the same size and color of bag. Makes finding stuff you need in a hurry or after dark a real pain in the ass.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

deffinately make sure you have the specialty tools needed to fix your rig.
              it is a good idea to have the sensors that if damaged will kill your rig. for example a CPS sensor.
              • u joint of every type on your jeep
              • tie rod ends
              • drag link
              • a welder is handy

i carry a lot of spare parts. i have never been mad at myself for having too many tools and parts with me. you will kick your own ass if you left the thing you need on the garage floor.

if you are camping, and leaving from camp to wheel.. you can bring even more junk. i do..
              spare drive shafts, and steerng, axle shafts.. etc. and leave them at the tent.
              if i break something big, someone can go get the parts.

ARB parts if you have an arb.it really sucks to have your wheeling adventure cut short for a 2 cent ferrul.
              have a complete arb repair kit.

you'll have over a thousand dollars in your jeeps spare, and tool collection before you know what happened, but the first time you really need something, you'll be glad you were prepared.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Combination of Blaines and Ericks lists. A lot depends on where you wheel, whether you trailer, have a base camp. I also tend to do the "by task" concept.

Most 'wheelers I've found over the last 30 years tend to go from _too little_ to _too much_ - then settle on something in between. I generally make a list of things I can reasonably expect to break and fix on the trail - work from that.

One thing a lot of people forget - "key" for their rim locks (if they have them). That and "do you have a CB" are generally the first queations I ask when leading a trail.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.
                  And for the link Sarah.

I'm definatly going to seperate my tools/spares by task.
                  I was thinking instead of bags, what about using large rubbermade tubs for storage.
                  anyone have any experiance with those, or something better?
                  AriZonaTJ

======================
                  0[_____]0
                  .(0IIII0). - 98 TJ, 3"Tera,33" M/Ts
                  []===0=[]
                  ======================

Comment

The Rubbermaid tubs are nice especially the smaller ones, but I find that unless they are completely full, they tend to waste space. I find more and more things going into colored duffels and then going into the Rubbermaid tubs til they are full. The tubs then get ratchet strapped down.

The exception is fluids which all go into one rubbermaid tub.

Alternative storage is a metal grenade box. They are a bit larger than your usual fifty cal ammo cans and the lid opens from either end. They are gasketed, waterproof, and can be locked. They make fine security cans if bolted to the Jeep.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...sp?sku=ZAA-098

PS. Following mrblaine's recommendation, keep your pooh-pooh bag separate from your other bags. I use a fat fifty can which is sturdy, nicely odorproofed, spill resistant, and just the right size for my hiney.
                    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Great Posts so far...

Here is they way I handled it.

I bought a good (Lifetime warranty) mechanics tool set as a start. Then if there was ever a tool that i needed when working on the jeep in the garage that was not in my bag of tricks... I put it on a list. On my next trip to the hardware store or sears, I bought a second one and it went in my bag of tricks.

I also carry the requisite spares... axles, u-joints etc.

The point of this activity was that when i leave in the morning for a wheeling trip i am usually dead tired from waking at an hour which, until I owned a Jeep, i wasn't aware came around twice a day. This allows me to have everything in one spot so i can throw it all in the Jeep, rather than forgetting it between gulps of coffee mud.

Once it is in the Jeep it is held down by two ratchet straps. i haven't rolled over yet (knock on wood), but i have been close. The last thing I want is a 60 pound bag of tools in the back of the head on a roll over. :oops: So Strap it down!!!!!!! :shout:

I have also taken a cheepie $10 pump spray bottle (the kind you get at lowes or home depot for bug spray) and fixed it to my roll bar. When filled with water it makes for a great handwashing point, or just for spraying off the face on a hot day.

Comment

I usually carry a couple of disposable painter's coveralls that you can get at homedepot. They are light and small and great if you need to quickly throw something on and get down and dirty in a bind.
                        03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                        "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Working...
                        X