Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange sound

When I first start my 90 Wrangler I get a strange sound coming from under the shifter. It lasts about 3 seconds and sounds like loose bolts rather than a grinding sound. Then when Im driving and get up in RPMs, just before I shift it happens again............but the clincher is, it doesnt happen all the time...........any ideas??

It's a 15 year old Jeep it should make some noises here and there.Wow,running chainsaws and loud equipment for 20 years has resulted in me not hearing those little noises anymore....
    "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Well that makes me feel better. Maybe Im being to critical

Comment

Does the noise go away when you put the clutch in? and does it come back when you release the clutch? Do you feel any thing in the shifter? If you can make the noise go away with the clutch, it could be the pilot bearing going bad.
        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
          Does the noise go away when you put the clutch in? and does it come back when you release the clutch? Do you feel any thing in the shifter? If you can make the noise go away with the clutch, it could be the pilot bearing going bad.
          I would suspect the throwout bearing - not the pilot bearing (which is actually a bushing 90% of the time). When a pilot bushing goes bad, things tend to jump around (a lot on accelerstion - I left the bushing out of my bracket car once - undrivable)
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Most of the newer pilot bearings have gone to a roller style. I have seen pilot bears comepletly gone and never had any signs of trouble. But in either case Both should be replaced if its tore down anyway.

My experiance with throw out bearings is when the clutch is disengaged (pedal to the floor) a He!%* of noise is heard.

With the new Hydraulics you lose the feel from things going wrong before hand. I Guess I'm just old fashion!
            [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
            In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Working...
            X