Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Bar Padding

on my 87, the padding for the bars from the roll bar to the windshield do not have a zipper (they are sewn with no way of removal without cutting). was this standard? are there replacements that i can buy that are removable? thanks for the help.

Pick up a copy of Sand Sports magazine - the sand rail crowd has a pretty good (better) selection of this stuff. Usually available in several colors, as well as different lengths.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by watercrane
      on my 87, the padding for the bars from the roll bar to the windshield do not have a zipper (they are sewn with no way of removal without cutting). was this standard? are there replacements that i can buy that are removable? thanks for the help.
      What color is the interior of your Jeep? I have some spice colored roll bar pads I'm looking to get rid of.
      [COLOR=Red] '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4" Superlift, 33x12.50 MT/R's, Detriot Locker, Warn 9000XDI, York Air, SYE, Belly Up...[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
        Pick up a copy of Sand Sports magazine - the sand rail crowd has a pretty good (better) selection of this stuff. Usually available in several colors, as well as different lengths.
        Yup, that's what we're going to use for our cages. Have you used any products in particular?
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by GrimJeeper
          What color is the interior of your Jeep? I have some spice colored roll bar pads I'm looking to get rid of.
          Hey man, I could use those. What 'ya asking for them? If watercrane don't want them.
          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
            Hey man, I could use those. What 'ya asking for them? If watercrane don't want them.
            Except for being a little dusty they are in great shape. 4WD Hardware catalog lists different part numbers for a '88 YJ and '91. Not sure what the story is there, I thought they both used the same sport bars. I'd like to get $40 for the lot. I think I paid $80 to $90. I put a '92 bar in so my padding is just hanging in the garage. Need a sound bar? Got one of those too, never even took it out of the box.
            [COLOR=Red] '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4" Superlift, 33x12.50 MT/R's, Detriot Locker, Warn 9000XDI, York Air, SYE, Belly Up...[/COLOR]

Comment

Sarah, I don't pad the cages in my jeeps anymore. IIRC, the M38 (late 70's) was the last one I padded (pipe foam and wide electrical tape was the method in "the day")

Cut all the padding off the stock YJ bar when I modified it.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

the inside will be black so the spice won't work but thanks for the offer

Comment

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...88&prmenbr=361

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/acc16.htm

Call McKenzies in Placentia - see what they have to offer.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
                    Right on, that's alot less expensive than "factory" padding! Do you know if they have a slit in them or not? (Cage is weld-in) I'll try giving that place a call and see what they recommend.
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

When I had a custom cage installed I did some research on padding.

Apparently, pipe insulation, squashy foam and such is fine for protecting your head when you are climbing in and out. However, in the event of a full-on impact it's much too soft: it will squash like it's not there.

The real gear is much more dense, in fact it feels quite hard. I am no expert (just full of BS) but the general idea is in the event of a massive impact with your head, the foam deforms slowly. This increases the surface area between pipe and skull. The foam deforms with a rising "spring rate" so that your head is decelerated in a controlled way.

OK...BS off :poop:

Simpson make the stuff. Its the same material that they use to line crash hats and you can get it from Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...78&prmenbr=361

While your there get the way cool Gasser T shirt

Aston Out.
                      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

You are correct sir! It is very similar to the material that DC uses to pad the OE bars they install in the current TJ's.
                        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Working...
                        X