Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum brake question

Okay so my 48 cj-2a is kicking my butt. I am trying to get the rear drums off but they don't want to come. Took the nut off and there's nothing else holding it there???

Also. I am replacing all wheel studs on the drums. Any ideas how to get them out. I have been pouding them with my 3lb hammer and the little bastards don't budge.
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Parking brake holding the drums on??? How about a little Liquid Wrench, PB-Blaster, or Break-Free on the studs?
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
      Parking brake holding the drums on??? How about a little Liquid Wrench, PB-Blaster, or Break-Free on the studs?
      The weird thing about the parking brake is it doesn't lock the brakes. Just the transfer case. Maybe I will bleed them to relieve any pressure. Got one drum soaking with pb blaster, will see if it does anything overnight.
      [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

a thought... i've seen some brake drums that were held on with a small star washer on one of the wheel studs (i think it was to keep the drums on during manufacturing). If you've got some rust, etc., you may not see them at first glance, but look close at the studs, and you just might find what i'm talking about. cut it off with some dikes and you're good to go

Comment

I'm not sure what your rear drums look like, but they are likely similar to the ones on my 61 CJ. Is there a castellated nut you can see? If so, you need to remove that and likely use a hub puller to get the drum off. I have always needed to use the hub puller on mine. These pictures may help. If yours doesn't look anything like these, then disregard this post

Last edited by Kiwi; 12-31-04, 10:44 AM.
          [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]2001 TJ with stuff..[/COLOR]

Comment

Hey thanks for the pic Kiwi. Yep that's the same setup as the 48. Looks like I will have to find a puller. Too bad autozone didn't have one I could borrow. I hate not having the right tools.
            [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

I love not having the right tools - that means there is a tool purchase in the near future! Try Napa - they seem to have more specialized stuff (at the one by me anyway) than at Azone.
              1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
              My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

try this.....adjust the adjustment wheel so the brake pads move in. There is a possibility that the drums are worn so much that it created a lip on the inside of the drum, causing the drum to get caught on the pad......can you picture this?????? it happened to me once, not that I don't do maintenance on a reg basis........but.......
                1997 TJ hp44/hp60-a lot of goodies

Comment

Originally posted by sam 15
                  try this.....adjust the adjustment wheel so the brake pads move in. There is a possibility that the drums are worn so much that it created a lip on the inside of the drum, causing the drum to get caught on the pad......can you picture this?????? it happened to me once, not that I don't do maintenance on a reg basis........but.......

I give that a shot on sunday. Done working on her today and the trail run is tomorrow.

I did however figured out how to get the bolts out. I cut the bolts off and then used a 1/2 bit to drill about 3/4 way into the bolt. The I used a 3/4 extension to beat them out. Still took some persuasion but at least 5 are out as of now. Just a little tip the next time anyone has stuck lugs.
                  [color=grey]Ryan[/color]

Comment

Working...
                  X