Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd dash Light??

As I have said before I know nothing about jeeps...............I bought mine used after about eight years of dreaming about it! So, I have lots of questions.............and you guys are great for helping guys like me out. You have already answered quite a few questions and I really appreciate it. Now, about that 4 wd light. Should it light up when Im in 4 high? 4 low? How can I tell the difference between 4 H, and 4 L? Why does it seem like it takes a few seconds for the light to come on and why does it seem like it wouldnt take much to knock the transfercase out of gear? Plus, the light doesnt always stay on................thanks for any answers and sorry for being so long winded, Rod.

that light isnt the end of the world. mine is gone and i dont miss it. you can tell that you are in 4 low when your jeep is screaming 4000 rpm's in first gear going 2 miles per hour.
    the best way is just to get to know the floor shifter. 2wd 4 lo 4 hi. know where these things are.
    as for the delay with the light... you are likely also getting a delay going into 4wd.
    on a yj, the front axle is vacuum actuated. this vacuum actuator [located on the passenger side of your front axle tube] has a couple of wires going to the firewall. those wires are for the light.
    there are also some vacuum lines to the actuator. these are what controlls a fork in there, which slides a sleeve. the sleeve connects the 2 piece axle shaft for the passenger side. now you are in 4wd.
    not much to it really. that actuator is prone to failure, and is often replaced with a manual actuator. it is called a posi-lock. it works well.
    i think this is more info than you asked for on this subject, and should hold you over.
    go look at it.. touch it... feel it... learn to fix it when it breaks
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Wow, thats good to know. Thanks Erik. Now how about this..............I drove up to Signal Hill and drove around in the mud just for fun. I got into 4 lo, and 4 hi..everything seemed great, and the 4wd light worked fine. But it seemed that the shifter (not the gears, the transfer case) popped out of gear real easy................the light would shut off. I would just put it back in either 4lo, or 4hi and everything was fine. Is it normal for the t-case to pop out of gear easy?..and is this a problem? Im kinda bummed about it...... It happend a few times..............

Comment

it is not normal, and it is not good.
        do you have a body lift on that thing?
        if so... take the boot off, and make sure there is plenty of room between the shifter, and the sheet metal in all gears.
        it is deffinately not good to have it pop out of 4 low. it could kill you in the right conditions. drop you off a cliff etc...
        ERIK

Comment

As you know now its a suspension lift..............................could it be the vacum line or some lack of fluid or something????

Comment

sounds weird. i dont really have any answers for you at the moment, except to check clearances on the sheet metal.
            ERIK

Comment

Hmmmm, maybe Im overexageratting(S/P?). I would assume that it would lock in gear pretty solid, like the tranny. I will try again this week and pay extra attention to it...................thanks man!!

Comment

I need a solid tug to move the TC shifter into 4H and then into 4L. The path back to 2H just requires a gentle press. It should NOT be "popping" out of TC gear. Going into TC neutral unexpectedly is a VERY bad thing.

Come on a trail ride and check the TC of another Jeep for comparison.
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Alas, someone else experiencing the problem I was having not too long ago. Check your t-case linkage to make sure its still adjusted correctly. That was the culprit on my jeep. Very annoying doing hill climbs or playing in the rocks when you stop every two inches because it pops out of 4 wd. I had this happen going down about a 4 foot 85* ledge, you get down, but not safely or slowly
                  04 Rubicon
                  4.5" RE Super Flex
                  1" BL
                  CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                  Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                  35" el cheapos
                  Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

KILLER advice, thanks guys!!! My friend has a old jeep cherokee, hes going to look at it this Sunday.......hes a pretty sharp guy so hopefully it will be taken care of. TJRubicon, that is exactly what happens to mine!! It will crawl fine in 4lo for a few mins. and boom, out of gear and into N on the t-case. Its a bummer.JMBrowning..........I would love to hook up with some people here and go on a trail ride!! Today Im going to a place called Garvin Ind. to get a C.B. mount and a firestick antenna. Then to 4-wheel parts to look at tire carriers..............after that Im good to go!! I will look out for the next run, thanks again you guys!!

Comment

For tire carriers, I encourage you to support our advertiser, Rock-It Man Fabrication.

At least take a look at his site first, before you pick out something at the big retail stores. He's local and he's got great prices too. Mention MJR for a discount.

:gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                      X