Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Shackles

I got a tow bar from Currie but I have a tube bumper. How about those tow shackles they sell?? Anybody use them?? Could I make a front bumper with some angle iron, drill some holes and connect to that for towing purposes only?? Thanks............

I switched to tow shackles to get the mounting point lower for a flat bar when pulling the Jeep. I strongly recommend upgrading the crappy stock hangers before you do it though, they're well known for ripping off the frame.

Or yes you can just build a bumper. Heck for that matter if your tube bumper is strong enough you can weld mounts to it.
    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
      I switched to tow shackles to get the mounting point lower for a flat bar when pulling the Jeep. I strongly recommend upgrading the crappy stock hangers before you do it though, they're well known for ripping off the frame.

Or yes you can just build a bumper. Heck for that matter if your tube bumper is strong enough you can weld mounts to it.
      Its just a chrome tube bumper.............think it could handle it??

Comment

One word. No.

Shackles arent usually just surface mounted...If it were me I wouldnt want to mount into anything less then 3/16th thick.

Be careful, your Jeep and the safety of others is at stake.

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. Bonner
          I got a tow bar from Currie but I have a tube bumper. How about those tow shackles they sell?? Anybody use them?? Could I make a front bumper with some angle iron, drill some holes and connect to that for towing purposes only?? Thanks............
          you are going to want to run something pretty beefy. i'm guessing that you want to flat tow your jeep to the trail, right?
          i'm sure something can be fabbed up to your bumper, or add something to your frame to attatch those shackles to.
          where in long beach are you?

on second thought.... get a new front bumper from www.rock-itman.com and i'm sure he could get the tabs where you need them for the tow bar
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
            you are going to want to run something pretty beefy. i'm guessing that you want to flat tow your jeep to the trail, right?
            i'm sure something can be fabbed up to your bumper, or add something to your frame to attatch those shackles to.
            where in long beach are you?

on second thought.... get a new front bumper from www.rock-itman.com and i'm sure he could get the tabs where you need them for the tow bar
            Im on the east side..Clark and Willow.know the area??

Comment

Front bumpers are relatively affordable...I think around $150. Totally worth it.

Just MHO

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I have the Currie bar and tow shackles. I have towed my 95 all over the place. I have had no problems with it other than no trailer brakes. Long and steep down hill runs may make you have to yell WHOA! a few times.
                DesertYJ
                29 Palms
                "I Love It When She Crawls On All 4's"

Comment

Working...
                X