Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Dead Spot

This morning driving in to work felt VERY odd.

There felt like a huge dead spot in my steering. It only seems to happen when turning to the right and the Jeep in general felt like it was wandering a lot more than normal. It has always had a little wander to it but is hard to tell at time because it gets so windy where I live.

I did a quick check on things and nothing appeared loose or broken. Did not check the PS fluid (just now thought of that).

I just put on a RE adjustable front track bar Sunday and put a Rancho steering stablizer about 4-5 months ago.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

What was your method of centering your trackbar? And is the rear also adjustable and centered?
    I've used a tape measure to center mine, my front's w/in 16" and rear about 1/8" to the passenger side. Both f & r are RE adj. trackbars. I just measure off the frame (same spot on both sides) to the edge of the wheel and not the flare as some do. Also the locking nut has come loose a time or two, keep an eye on that to. For me I got slight wobbles when they came loose.

Hope this helps, B&T TJ

Comment

Huge dead spot meaning when you turn the wheel to the right the wheels do not turn at all? How far do you have to turn the wheel til it starts turning? Is there any noise from the PS pump when this happens? Is it smooth, or is there a roughness or clunk in the steering when it starts to turn?
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

No adjustable rear trak bar yet. I centered the fron by measuring the tires distance from the flare (not the best way but thats how the instuctions suggested). I did not even think of checking the jam nut.

I turn the steering wheel right for about 2 inches before the Jeep actually moves. It doesn't jerk at all until I start to turn back left then its a minor jerk (but a major pain yuk yuk yuk). If i turn left from center there is no jerking. I have not noticed any noises from the PS pump.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

The only reason the track bar would be causing this is if it is broken or something is majorly loose. If it's loose it would do it turning both directions (if it moves one way it has to move back). I would think you would see the axle flopping around under there when you turn and you probably couldn't get above 25 without having some kind of major wobble or stability issue. I would look at the steering while someone turns the wheel and see where the problem is... You'll know if it's track bar right away if the body shifts over the axle when turning.
          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Update

All tires are the same psi (give or take a pound).

The jam nut was way loose, able to spin it by hand without any effort. Tightened it down and will see if that helps any tomorrow as I drive in. I would check further but its just to cold out right now.
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Drove in this morning and it is much better. Still some play but nothing like it was. I am surprised that the jam nut had that much effect.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

your tie rod rotates a bit when you turn. the jam nut was allowing it to rotate freely.
                as said above.. have someone steer it back and forth, and see what is moving under there
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                X