Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16.5" Rims for TJ?

Does anyone know if they make black steel wheels in a 16.5 for 5 on 4.5?

Don't know, but be aware that the 16.5" wheels don't have a very deep bead seat (as compared to 15, 16, and 17" wheels), which makes them very suseptable (sp?) to rolling the bead off the seat when aired down. At least that is what I have heard from several sources over the years.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I would doubt it - and nore importantly - why???????????
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by hurley37
        Does anyone know if they make black steel wheels in a 16.5 for 5 on 4.5?
        Good luck finding anything like that for a 16.5, I believe 16.5's are going in the history books with the beta tape players and 8track tape players, :yawn:
        04TJ, 4.0 5spd
        4" rough country springs
        Nth degree arms upper and lower
        1" Currie MML/BL
        Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
        33"BFG MT's
        Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Originally posted by New one
          Good luck finding anything like that for a 16.5, I believe 16.5's are going in the history books with the beta tape players and 8track tape players, :yawn:
          16.5" wheels are still very common. Just not on off-road vehicles. I run 16.5's on my tow rig (with 33 x 12.50's).
          olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

The reason I asked was because I found a good source for 36x12.5x16.5 Goodyear Wrangler R/T (Military Hummer) Tires. Thought they would be a great set to keep in the garage for rockcrawling since they are bias ply.

Comment

Good times is right on!!! Look at the inside of a 16.5 rim, there is nothing there to hold the bead. They are not a good choice for wheeling if you need to air down, unless you are also getting the hummer's beadlocks!!!

Save them for a HD on road tire and they will be fine, Better yet, sell them and go with a 16 if you want a tougher tire.

CW
              '99 TJ, locked both ends, 33" BFGs, 8.8 rear, S4T lift, too much to list....lets wheel!!!

Comment

It's a really bad idea to run 16.5" wheels on a Jeep, there is no safety bead for the tire. There are warnings everywhere to avoid mounting 16" tires on a 16.5" wheel, no tire shop in their right mind would do it.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the great help. I think I definitely forget about getting those Hummer tires. Was a great thought while it lasted!!

Comment

Working...
                  X