Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clunky diferrential

some times when I start or stop or even in some turns I have a clunk coming from the rear diff. Someone told me that some of the gear fins were broken. I bought this from some one who also bought it used.
    HOw do I tell what gear ratio is in the rear diff. Also if there is a lockerr in the diff could the noise be from it?

The best thing to do is simply pull the differential cover and inspect it. If there are broken gear parts floating around in your diff, you want to get them out ASAP. As long as they are loose, you stand a very real chance of getting them caught up inbetween your ring and pinion gear, which will be very expenisve. It will also make it easy to see if there is a limited slip or a locker installed.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by Stoy
      HOw do I tell what gear ratio is in the rear diff. Also if there is a lockerr in the diff could the noise be from it?
      There should be a little tag on the dif cover bolts or you need to count the gears. As far as the cluncking, I had the exact same symptoms and it turned out my spider gears were missing a few teeth. .
      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Happy Birthday Stoy!

Are you unsure if there is a locker in there? If it's an EZ locker, that could be what's going on. (And it's probably normal.)
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I'm with Sarah on this- it sounds like an EZ-locker. Ours is clunky too, but it got a whole lot smoother when we got the new diff pin.
          Ohh! I almost forgot. Is it only when you start? My buddy had a problem like that on his old MJ (comanche). The driveshaft u-joints had worn out and it caused a clunk whenever he started moving.
          Last edited by king4wd; 10-24-04, 03:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Working...
          X