Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ tie rod flip

Erik has a great thread on his YJ steering upgrade (http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2752) which got me (along with a discussion I had with a friend) thinking on flipping the tie-rod on a TJ to the top of the knuckle for a little more clearance.

Erik mod is a little more work than I wanted to take at this time so I keep researching and found these tie rod flips http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

Anyone tried this?
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

It's a cake walk. Just drill the existing tapered hole to 3/4, tap in insert and weld in place. If it were me I would get some WJ knuckles and go with the bigger brakes also.
    ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
    00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
    97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

I have thought about the WJ knuckles but have not come across enough information to decide wether to do it.

The tie rod flips would just be a hold over.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_L
        It's a cake walk. Just drill the existing tapered hole to 3/4, tap in insert and weld in place. If it were me I would get some WJ knuckles and go with the bigger brakes also.
        Do both sides flip (tie rod and drag link)?
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

what i did is really no more difficult than what you are proposing.
          you just have to source the tools to do it.
          you need a tapered reamer, and the 7/8-18 taps [those are the hard one]

in return, you'll get much stronger steering componants than stock.
          these tie rod ends are really beefy, and the one to the pitman arm has a fantastic amount of movement for droop.

having done it the way i did, with the parts i used... i'd do it again.
          it steers great, and feels really firm, on and off road.

i just bought a reamer on ebay, and am hoping it is the right angle.
          i'll let you know if it is when i get it.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Tools are always a problem with me. I think my wife hates them more than my Jeep

Erik,

I would go your route but my fab skills are pretty limited. The other method appeals to me because I can drill a hole and tap in an insert. Then just take it down to the local machine shop for a quick weld. Even if I had access to a welder, I would probably hurt myself trying to use it.

I still haven't settled on what to do. This is my next project once I get the 62mm throttle body done
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

hello im new!
              but www.ok4wd.com has a tie rod flip kit and it includes a reamer and everything, i think it works for TJ's
              Carlos

92 YJ
              GO VEGAN!
              volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                Do both sides flip (tie rod and drag link)?
                Not possible unless you want to use an export draglink, redo the angle on the stabilizer hole or cut and flip the end.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

welcome ersatz, feel free to start a thread in the welcome forum
                  sarah
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                    Not possible unless you want to use an export draglink, redo the angle on the stabilizer hole or cut and flip the end.
                    That is what I thought.
                    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
                    X