Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Speedo Gear

I just got done lifting my ZJ and installing bigger tires.

I have 3.73 gears
    Old tires 225/70/16s diam 28.4
    New tires 245/75/16s diam 30.5
    Current speedo gear is 35 tooth (removed and counted 3X to be certain)

3 different charts say to use a 33 tooth speedo gear

Math: new gear = old gear X old tires / new tires
    Unk = 35 X 28.4 / 30.5 = 32.6 teeth so use a 33 tooth gear

Someone on JU says they used a 34 tooth with same setup and was verified with GPS to be accurate.

So my question is, which gear 33 or 34 tooth.

Thanks in advance

1 Jeep dealer says that a 33 tooth is not avail for a 98 ZJ and a 33 won't fit, smallest available is 34 teeth. 2nd Jeep dealer says same thing, 34 is the smallest, but the p/n I got from the Grand tech section is a good part and will fit.

I be confused :confused:
    It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

I am running 3.73 gears and 31's with a 33 tooth gear and mine is almost right. The chart over on NAGCA is where I got my info. I assume that you looked there because you posted their too. Most people that run 30's don't even change their speedo.
    Just your avearge Grand Cherokee.....right?
    "looks over function....yeah, right"

Comment

It looks to me like a 33 tooth is for 31's and a 34 tooth is for 30's. That was my findings. And seeing as how when you drive, the tires get smaller, a 34 tooth might be better.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I ordered the 33 tooth earlier today. Will put in tomorrow and give it a try. I will take it up on the highway and time it from mile post to mile post @ 60MPH.

Yes the tire will get smaller as you wear them in but even at a loss of 1/2 of the tread, the math still says to use a 33 tooth. Thanks for the info. I will post up the road results after I do them.
        It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

Comment

Working...
        X