Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a lift

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Arial Black]I'm running 32" BFG's on a stock 1974 CJ-5. Does anyone know if I can go to 35's without having to change anything ? Ie: driveline, lift kit, etc...
    thanks,
    Dave[/FONT]
    [/COLOR]

You'll need at least a 4" lift and probably 5".
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Thanks igofshn,
      Would ya know if I can get that extra inches with the Rancho Shocks ?
      Thanks for the feedback,
      Dave
      [/COLOR]

Comment

you would need new leaf springs...
        B R E T T
        87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

dampers

I concur with JeepJunkie.

Springs establish the ride height. The shocks control the movement of the spring, the more correct name for shock absorbers is dampers. The dampers slow spring movement. On compression the damper absorbs some of the energy to reduce the chance of the spring bottoming out. The spring absorbs most of the energy. On rebound, the damper dissipates the energy slowly so the spring doesn't bounce up and down.

A big sedan is oversprung and underdamped. A sports car is undersprung and over damped.

A Jeep climbs over rocks

Chris L.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

another thought

How much lift largely depends on where you are. Less lift is needed driving down to Sainbury's more lift is needed if you are dropping off a 6' ledge.

Don't underestimate the amount of clearance you will need on severe trails.

If you have access to a ramp or towmotor pick up one corner of the jeep and see what happens.

Chris L.
            "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Arial]Thanks for all the great info guys. I think I'll tone it down a little and go with 33's.
              Dave[/FONT]
              [/COLOR]

Comment

My CJ-7 had a 2 1/2" Rancho kit on it with 32s when I got it. I put 33x1250s on it and they rubbed to holy heck. I put 1 3/8" lift shackles on it and this cured most of the rubbing up front, but the rears still hit the rear of the fenderwell slightly at full stuff (and heavily when launching it 6 ft through the air off a giant whoop at the dunes). I would be surprised if your springs are stock if you are running 32s, unless you currently rub the tires frequently (possibly even when going around corners?) If you are planning on 35s any time down the road, just do it right and get 4" lift springs, keep your longer shackles, and a 1" body lift. You will still need to do some fender trimming or put some pretty long bumpstops on (which kinda defeats the purpose). This setup with 33s will look a little funny but will work very well. You can get by without the body lift with 33s, but you may need to trim the rear fenderwells very slightly (maybe 1/2"), so little that you will hardly notice it if you are worried about keeping the stocker body style. If you opt for 2 1/2" - 3" springs you will need either the body lift or a bit more fender trimming to keep from rubbing with 33x1250s. I'm pretty sure all of this applies to most any year CJ.

rick
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                X