Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life of jeep engine?

if a jeep has been taken care of how long does the stock motor specifically the 4cyl and 6cyl. usually last without major work like a rebuild?

you will most likely get over 200k miles on a 6cyl im not sure about a 4cyl though
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

198k,On mine and it blows blue smoke ...I think with proper
      maint(mine did not have) :mad:,the engine will last
      to 250-300+k easy.
      Red 2 Door Cherokee 4x4
      KKM air filter

Comment

My daughters jeep has 189,000 and climbing with no problems.
        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Well I had one BLOW up big time at 260K but I only had it for 20K miles I have a another one that has gone 180K so far with excelent maint. that seems to have a bad exhaust valve a third one with 150K no problems and the 4th has 88k with no problems so my estimate is

260+180+150+88 / 4 169.5k on a 6 cyl with no problems. 2 of these have had unknown maint. and range from a 1960-1999 6 cyl.

I guess 200k with good care seems resonable
          A little TJ with a few mods
          real-jeeps.com

Comment

i got 220,000 from mine before it started getting loose. it still ran fine, but was getting sloppy, and wouldnt pass smog. replaced it with a 98' motor.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
              i got 220,000 from mine before it started getting loose. it still ran fine, but was getting sloppy, and wouldnt pass smog. replaced it with a 98' motor.
              Jugding from some of your photos, that 220,000 weren't easy miles
              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
                Jugding from some of your photos, that 220,000 weren't easy miles
                well, thew truth is.. i have put like 10,000 miles on it since i got it. i have had it about a year, and it had very high miles when i bought it. it was owned by a 70 year old man that didnt trust it any more. hes wanted it out of his driveway, so i got it for a song. it was completely stock when i got it. i used it for 6+ mos. without having to do anything to it mechanically. when it came time to smog, it wouldnt pass. had loose, and tired valves, bearings, etc..
                so, rather than dealing with the delays of fixing it, i swapped it. it was waaay less expensive this way, and muuuch faster. it was down for 2 days for the swap.
                passed smog on the first try.
                since i have had the jeep, it has had some rough miles. before i got it... old man miles
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Just came back from Camp Jeep seminar and the speaker/author mentioned that the 6 should easily see 200,000 to 250,000 miles provided you change the oil regularly. OEM Reman engines are rated for 200,000 miles.

Comment

Working...
                  X