Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering options? Any out there?

Okay. So I noticed when it's 116 here my death wobble has returned. I was looking at the steering and I was wondering if the grease in the boots is so hot that it may cause play. Like I said this only happens in high temps.

So my question is does anyone know where I could get a beefier set up for steering? I don't like the rubber boots that DC put on there. I want something that is self contained but still greaseable. Does something like this exist for a TJ?

Thanks for your future inputs.
    [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

I have the Currie system, (just installed) it's very beefy but I'm not sure if it will take care of your needs. The grease boots they supply with the system seem to have a loose seal to allow the grease to push out debris. With the heat thing I'd look at bushing. From what I've come to understand the wobble come from a loose track bar or bad bushings related. I too have a very slight wobble after hitting bumps in a certain way. If you think about it your trackbar is the only thing keeping your axle from moving side to side, YJ's have leaf springs to help with that.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the Currie system, it's very beefy and corrects some of the steering angles on lifted Jeeps. It's so beefy I believe you could run it into rocks and another componet will break before it does.

B&T TJ

Comment

I really like how tough that looks. Maybe I will end up getting one just because. The stock setup just looks like it's waiting to break.
      I was looking at my jeep today and noticed my right tire is straight forward and the left is toed out a little. That must be the problem! I wish we had a place around here that did a lifetime alignment.
      [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
      [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

Yeah, it beefy allright just a little pricey. I gave away my two other sets I kept as spares since I've only heard recently of one of these things breaking after a few years on the "Hammers" ("Trail Reports" post here).

I have a Jeep bud in New Mexico I got mine from, cost me just under $400 shipped to my home, no taxes. Wasn't hard to install either, hardest part was removing the old stuff. I'm stll waiting for it to loosen up/break in, the steering is much tighter now. Good stuff!

As far as a lifetime alignment... You got one, it's you! It's really not that hard and there's not much to adjust, toe-in/out mainly. Caster/Camber can only be changed with adjustable control arms and once that's good it won't go out for the most part but the toe-in/out may. If you installed your lift you can to this. There's probably post here about it or I can PM you with the info. as well as the factory pages from the manual like the Fuel System I sent. No big deal.

B&T TJ

Comment

Working...
        X