Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing With a JK

Hi all, we presently pull a built jeep behind a motor home and are thinking of getting out of a motor home and going small again!

Does anyone pull a small light travel trailer (<5K pounds) with a V8 JK. i've seen some on the road, but not sure how well they do. Was looking to build a big block V8, 4-door JK, and pull a small camping trailer.

I know the V8 build would include heavy duty axle shafts and u-joints, and I would install one ton brakes and steering. The trailer would of course have electric brakes.

Is this a bad idea?

thanks,

Steve

5K lbs is way over. It's not about tow'n as much as it's about control and stop'n.
    http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabili.../#Compass3Tab*
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Yah, I think even the big hemi, big axles and tires probably real squirrely.

Comment

I have 2011 JKUR with a hemi, 38" tires and 5.13 gears.
        I've towed a 61 corvette on a trailer a few times and it was fine. the trailer had brakes so that helps.
        I have often thought a nice pop up trailer with a rack on top for dirt bikes or kayaks would be nice
        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Wheelbase is a huge factor in towing stability. Are you talking about a 95" WB 2dr, or a 116" WB 4dr?

Comment

Not sure, been thinking a long while on it and I think it would be one baddass JK, and VERY expensive. We're looking at going to a truck and camper, and towing this TJ a while longer. At least then I can put it on a trailer and not flat tow all the time.

Comment

Working...
            X