Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard water spot removal

For years I parked my YJ right in the path of a sprinkler head. I used to have time to wash & dry it on a regular basis. I guess I always got to it in time. Then life happened. I wound up with water spots so heavy that the whole tailgate - and all the way to the back of the passenger door looked like a piece of chalk. In reading a few how-to's & forums, apparently if you have hard water spots older than 36 hours your vehicle is totalled and any effort to restore the paint will put you on an expressway to a salvage title...
    Since my paint is well seasoned and the spots were on the back (normally not in direct sunlight) I figured I'd try getting slightly aggressive with it. I used a green Scotchbright pad and white vinegar without diluting it. With only light polishing action, the combination cut right through the spots. Now the paint is stripped to a matte finish & I will have to polish it; but so what? The spots are gone. There is plenty of original paint left to polish up and have looking as good as it ever has.
    I wouldn't recommend this for a new JK or anything with a good clearcoat, but for a 100 yard beauty queen it worked like a charm.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Toothpaste and a damp sponge has work'd well for me to remove hard water spots.
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Really depends how deep is the damage is, but I had good experience removing them using white vinegar and some newspaper for the glass surface and toothpaste with painted surface.

Comment

Working...
      X