Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oba

Alrighty folks, my dad is in some tough spots so I'm buying his 3 gallon air tank from his OBA system, then putting my MV50 (that thing kicks arse) on a Viar relay/pressure switch. My question is, does anyone have a similar setup? I'm mostly wanting to air tires up quick and set beads if needed, but I'm thinking that I should have enough CFM out of the tank to run a die grinder for about 5 minutes?

Does this sound right to you folks? Honestly, my calculations are just rough guesstimates in my head. The MV50 pushes out ~2.6CFM, so I know that once the tank is depleted I'll be waiting, but I don't plan to run power tools much; just in a pinch.

Any thoughts or advice from your OBA setups?
    USMC F&AM

I have the Viair 2.5 gallon tank and Viair 400 compressor. The small tanks really don't do that much. Just a quick burst at the beginning. After that quick burst its just the compressor doing most of the work. Definitely not 5 mins with a die grinder. 30 seconds? Maybe. Cut a little, wait, cut a little, wait.... Airing up tires works fine but, again, after that initial burst it's just the compressor doing the work. Reseating beads needs that quick burst so it would work fine for that.

For running power tools more a CO2 setup or an engine run compressor are better options. The small electrics will work in a pinch as long as you're willing to be patient.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

For a few decades I ran a York with a fairly large tank. I use to carry a small air drill and cutter to go with my welder and never used it. The one time I needed it on the trail the tank emptied fast. Now I carry a Milwaukee 18v and have switched to a Viar 400. Not as fast filling tires but I'm happy with it. The air tank has helped me seat a few beads and is nice with the air nozzle for cleaning things.

Scott
      Last edited by Zoobi; 05-17-15, 07:31 AM.
      Come to the dark side.....
      We have Cookies!

Comment

How to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abH9__WKMhc
        Rich

Comment

Working...
        X