Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic line put on wire spool?

I have warn winch that currently has the wire cable....I want to put the synthetic rope on but I heard that I would have to buy a new spool for the synthetic rope, why cant I just replace with the rope? I thought just dumping the cable rollers for the synthetic fair lead would be sufficient. Anyone ever do this?

I read something last week about how some warn winches shouldn't have synthetic cable. It had to do with the brake being located inside the drum. According to some data that warn has, the synthetic line was actually slightly compressing the spool and engaging the brake. I'm looking to buy a new winch and now I've narrowed down my choices to external brake's.
    As to your question, I cant comment from experience only that everyone said the components have to be smooth so the synthetic cable doesn't fray.

Scott
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

I have been putting synthetic line on Warn winches without issues for a long time. You do want to get rid of the rollers. The lower winds will show signs of heat impact.
      Rich

Comment

Ol Man is correct! It can be done just don't remove the roller.

Comment

I thought that the rope could get squeezed between the roller and mount....is this not a problem? is it because with the rollers it retrives the line from a higher/lower position?

Comment

I left my rollers on..and wound my M8000 with synthetic. No issues. They say you can "pinch" the synthetic in the rollers... I haven't done any crazy angled pulls where there happens. I am fine with it. At the same time I haven't my Jeep much in the past year so don't listen to anything I say...

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
              The lower winds will show signs of heat impact.
              Yeah I thought on certain winches the drum gets too hot so you needed to put a heat shield in there.
              “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
              -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

My winch came with steel cable. I have sense switched to synth rope. No drum requirements were necessary. But I contacted Warn, and they said go ahead, no problem. The breaks in the drum sounds like an issue for some. Contact the manufacturer and make the change. Also, synth line lays down flatter then steel cable. you can easily add 25' to what you already have now. Longer is better.
                It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                  My winch came with steel cable. I have sense switched to synth rope. No drum requirements were necessary. But I contacted Warn, and they said go ahead, no problem. The breaks in the drum sounds like an issue for some. Contact the manufacturer and make the change. Also, synth line lays down flatter then steel cable. you can easily add 25' to what you already have now. Longer is better.
                  Good to know, I was wondering if I could add more synth rope then the cable. Just not sure on the cable size or the size of rope I need.

Comment

On my 9.5Ti, I replaced the 5/16" wire rope with 90' of 7/16" syn. rope. I think it could handle 35 more feet. And as with any angled pull, you just gotta watch it from bunching up. Oh and before I rewound it, I took a flat file to the drum, repainted it and replaced the roller fairlead with a alum. hawse.

Steve
                    Last edited by alittleoff; 05-15-15, 06:06 PM.
                    All slow and no show

Comment

Working...
                    X