Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto vs Manual

What's everybody's opin0n on what's better for rock crawler....... auto transmission or manual? Personal I've had both and enjoyed the manual more but actual had more control with an auto, so my vote is AUTO!

I own a manual and as much as I love having it, it is tough rock crawling with it. If I had an atlas transfer case with more lower gear ranges it would be cool, but with an auto you have more slow speed control.

Comment

I love my manual 5 sp. with the Atlas 5 to 1 behind it. But if I had a rock buggy, I would have 2 sp. Powerglide with an Atlas behind it too. And I know how to drive with both feet. "One foot on the brake and one on the gas" (Sammy H.)

Steve
      All slow and no show

Comment

I like both, biggest detractor of an auto is the lack of engine braking going down really steep long hills. Deepr transfercase lo range helps a lot for that

Comment

Both of my Jeeps had manuals. Gearing helps a lot. My previous Jeep was 3.07 with stock NP231 and 33" tires. As soon as I hit the first obstacle on a trail I smelled clutch the whole rest of the day. I stalled a bit and got hung up on a lot of "simple" things for a jeep. It made me a better driver (although I feel I've lost some of my abilities by not wheeling often enough the last couple years). The added benefit is that I get outstanding engine braking with the control I get with the manual.

My new Jeep is 4.56 gears on 35" tires and an atlasII 5:1. I wouldn't like another manual unless it's geared similarly. Auto would make a lot of things easier for rock crawling if you aren't geared as low.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

My CJ7 had a stick. Loved it. My two buggies have had autos. No way would I want a stick. So much more control with the auto. Just think what happens when you are on a steep climb and push in the clutch. Of course I have an auto in my JK.
            Rich

Comment

4l60e in my Jeep and I wouldn't trade it for anything. 4.1 transfer case and engine braking(technically transfer case braking) is a none issue. 4lo and it just crawls.
              Check out .

Comment

I love a manual transmission, 6 speed an 4:1 transfer case gives a nice low 1st gear. I wouldn't trade it for an auto.

But I imagine an auto is easier in tricky situations, you don't have to worry about stalling it really. And it would probably be easier to come to a complete stop while in a tippy off camber situation and not lurch the jeep back and forth when you press the clutch in.
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Auto all day every day for rock crawling.

My favorite thing about a manual is watching all the "manuals are the best" guys stall out on every difficult obstacle.
                  "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by 4xfiend View Post
                    My favorite thing about a manual is watching all the "manuals are the best" guys stall out on every difficult obstacle.
                    That would be me! My wife laughs at me stalling and she can't even drive a manual transmission

Comment

After having a manual in the YJ with stock (I think) 3.08 gears and 35s I hated life, couldn't be smooth at all. Now with the JK I've got the auto, 5.38s, and 4.3:1 Atlas and love it. So much more control and fluidity to the motions. Auto all the way for rock crawling; however now that I live somewhere with mud I sometimes wish I had put in an Atlas 4 so I could get a bit more wheel speed.
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by HookandLadder View Post
                        That would be me! Everyone laughs at me stalling
                        Fixed it for you
                        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Meh, so we stall sometimes, I have more fun with a manual trans than an auto most of the time If my jeep were a trail-only buggy that was towed, I think an auto would be fun.
                          Last edited by daniel_buck; 04-13-15, 04:48 PM.
                          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I'm a manual guy at heart, but those auto's sure look smooth on the hard stuff.
                            Last edited by brokenujoint; 04-13-15, 11:07 PM.
                            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I'm a little torn on the Manual vs. Auto question. But without digging into the dark corners of options, I would say that in general: slow is for automatics and fast is for manuals. Even supercars have paddle shifters on their automatics.

That said, my 4-speed Atlas has made the world of manual transmission SOOO much better! It almost, but not quite gives you the control of an automatic in the slow crawls, but it gives you all of the advantages of having a manual for down hill runs, starting in gear, and quick panic saves when the power needs to stop quickly.

It is an expensive option to just going with an automatic, but since I started with a manual I really like it so far.

As far as 4:1 vs. 5:1, going with a 5:1 is a commitment to slow crawling. If you are traveling with a group that mostly has Stock Low range, you are going to be frustrated with a 5:1. When you get to the faster moving areas, you will find that you will want to switch to 4High to keep up. If you mostly travel with folks with 4:1 range, you probably will not notice a need for a change in ratio.
                              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X