Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch rod keeps coming out of the master cylinder?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Clutch rod keeps coming out of the master cylinder?

So this has happened several times in my TJ, and I'd like to fix it, I think it could be dangerous if I don't. I've put up with it on the street for a while now, but offroad it's dangerous, it popped out 3 or 4 times at IDTT.

If I pull upwards on my clutch pedal, the rod pops out of the master cylinder at the firewall, and then the pedal just swings free. The clutch is still engaged, but I can't disengage it until I stop the vehicle, get out and lean under the dash and put the rod back into the master cylinder. And when I'm offroad, if I'm going up a ledge or a steep hill, the clutch pedal will swing upwards and out of the MC unless I keep my foot resting on it. It doesn't take any force to lift the pedal upwards, so little force that yes, when the jeep is angled upwards on a ledge or waterfall the clutch pedal will swing free. :omg: I need to get this fixed

I'm wondering what might be broken here? Or what part might be missing or fell off? Am I missing a part that physically stops the pedal from lifting upwards to far? A spring or a stop block or something? Or is something on the master cylinder or clutch rod possibly worn out? If I can't figure this out, I may try and make something that physically limits how far the clutch pedal will lift upwards.

The neutral safety switch is still there, it goes around the clutch rod. It's loose though, it slides forward and backwards on the clutch rod, is this supposed to be attached to the firewall or MC? If that were the case, even if the pedal were lifted upwards, the sensor would keep the push rod from falling out of the MC.

I'll try and squeeze a video camera under there and try to take a video of what's going on. And try to take a few photos so that maybe someone here with a manual transmission TJ can look to see if I'm missing a part under there?
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 03-24-15, 08:55 AM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

only a few things will cause that, pedal stop, or the rod is worn where it pivots on the pedal. Neutral switch is a loose sliding affair, so that shouldn't cause your issue, either the pivot point for the rod has to much play or the pedal moves up to far due to a missing pedal stop

Comment

Does the factory pedal have a stop, or a spring to keep the pedal from going upwards to far? Or is it the rod and the MC connection that keeps the pedal from going upwards?

I could make a pedal stop easily enough I think (well, working under the dash is going to suck!) that would take care of the problem.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

It should have a pedal stop of sorts, there isn't anything as far as I know that keeps the rod in the master. I guess I should peruse the factory manual for shits and giggles

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          It should have a pedal stop of sorts, there isn't anything as far as I know that keeps the rod in the master. I guess I should peruse the factory manual for shits and giggles
          If ya find anything, that would be appreciated! Though I guess either way I'm going to have to make something to stop it.

Comment

Dan,

I checked the FSM and the parts manual and the rod isn't supposed to come out of the clutch master cylinder. The rod is the part that is supposed to keep the clutch pedal from raising too far. Look at the end of the rod that goes into the clutch master cylinder; it should show signs that it has sheared off. You have the replace the entire clutch control system; here is the quote from the FSM:

NOTE: Clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and
            connecting line are serviced as an assembly only.
            Components cannot be overhauled or serviced separately.
            Cylinders and connecting line are sealed
            units.

Russ
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

Interesting, thanks Russ. I appreciate that

I should probably get a FSM. Do you have a paper book? or do you have a PDF book on the computer?

I don't think I want to replace the entire MC, that seems silly. I think I'll make a stop for the pedal. Oh boy, it'll be fun working under the dash... haha
              Last edited by daniel_buck; 03-24-15, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Got it done, it was easy, just a bit cramped working under the dash to measure things. It works really well. I can drive with a peace of mind now, nowing that I won't cause a pile up on the freeway, or drive off a cliff while offroad.

This week on Redneck Driveway Fab, we showed you how to build a stop for a clutch rod that won't stay put.

Stay tuned for next week where we explore stick welding sheet metal at 250 volts one handed, motor mounts at 60 volts in the rain, and a special "is this burrito left in the engine bay from last week's wheeling trip still good?" Followed by an update to our "vodka and a bong TIG shielding gas test". This and more, next week on RDF

Last edited by daniel_buck; 03-31-15, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I likes the RDF, right up my alley

Comment

Right on

I swear, if I ever make a vehicle from scratch, I'm going to have the dash on hinges, so that it can flip out of the way to work on things. The TJ is bad enough, but the Willys is absolute hell!

Comment

Working...
                    X