Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a steering column.

Either rebuilt or a good used one. I tried the write up about tightening the 4 bolts in the bottom of the column and didnt work. The bracket that holds them is busted. Does anyone know where i can find A good replacement. I tried daveys, inland jeep, ebay, .... No luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this fixed fast.

92 yj with tilt and manual trans.

Its a Saginaw steering column. Very popular for Jeep and GM, possibly a few others. The part that's broken, is it the mount the bolts tighten into? Most of the parts from those column's are interchangeable.
    The biggest difference being the firewall mount, the output shaft design and length. If it is the mount let me know and i'll see if I still have one.

Scott
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

let me see if i can get this right..... in the bottom of the column there are 4 bots that come loose. under that there is a swooped piece that those 4 bolts go in to. its metal and it sits in a groove/ track. well the piece that holds that is broken.

Comment

The flat, round metal plate the bolts go into isn't broken but the housing it sits in is? If so that's the Jacket. I normally see the "tab" that holds one part of the mount plate cracked and bent up. If that's the part and you cant get a col, you can tear it down and weld the tab back. What I would have would be the flat plate the bolts screw into. Unfortunately that part is specific. I have a few pictures I could send you for verification, I cant post them from work for some reason.

Scott
        Last edited by Zoobi; 03-10-15, 06:45 PM.
        Come to the dark side.....
        We have Cookies!

Comment

Standard tilt column failure. I would get everything in place and weld that plate to the jacket and call it good, will outlive the Jeep.
          Fixed more than a few GM column mast's/ tubes that way

Comment

Would it be better to just swap in a non tilt column? I thought about welding the jacket. Wasnt sure how that would work out though. When i took the column apart i saved the parts but once i found the cracked jacket i stopped paying attention to disassembly. Hence a puzzle to put back together.

Comment

Working...
            X