Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: ball joints again!

So, a wobble started earlier this week, and I can feel the passenger side lower ball joint moving when I check the joints.... Looks like it's time to do the ball joints again. :confused2:

I put all 4 new Synergy joints in back in June of 2013. I've had the same suspension and tire setup the entire time I believe. 35s with currie suspension and steering.

That was not even 2 years ago, does that sound right for ball joint life? The jeep has seen alot of driving, and some fairly hard wheeling. I've heard Moog joints aren't so good, when I replaced my ball joints Moogs were on there. Not sure which lasted longer, but the Moogs were mostly on 32" tires, I've had 35" tires on the Synergy joints the entire time. Should I put Synergy joints in there again? Suggestions?

It's probably time I have the wheels balanced as well, I'm going to do that right before I change the joints. The tires are pretty chunked up, maybe they are a bit out of balance too. I've got beadlocks, so I assume they haven't slipped on the wheel.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

That is kind of surprising to me. They are supposed to be really good. I have about 50,000 miles on my ODO and another 30,000 towing behind my MH on my 2008 JK, now on 35s; the first 20,000/10,000 were on the stock 32s. My ball joints are just OK and should probably be replaced this year.
    Rich

Comment

I should probably mention, that the front axle side track bar bolt has come loose on me at least 2-3 times now, until I put red loctite on it after the 3rd time or so. (blue wasn't enough, I did blue twice) It would wobble a bit when it was loose. Would this wobbling possibly prematurely ware out the ball joints?

I'm going to drill a perfectly sized bolt hole through a 1/4" piece of steel and weld that to the bracket, to hopefully keep the bolt from coming loose, the original 1/2" hole that I drilled for the Currie steering has since wallowed out a bit.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

If it's a slotted hole like a YJ you can find the right llocation for it and weld some washers to keep it centered permanently. You could also castle nut it.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

the holes are meant to be round, but after some wobbling they become oblong/wallowed out. Which I imagine just makes it more likely to come loose and wobble in the future?

Unfortunately, castle nut is not an option, the back side where the nut is located is a difficult spot to get to, you have to use a flag nut because you can't really get a wrench in there, I think a castle nut would be really difficult.

I'm going to tack weld a metal locking deformed thread nut to a piece of metal (flag), maybe the deformed threads will work better than just threadlocker on a normal flag nut with no deformed threads.

Comment

Working...
          X