Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sold the FJ - thinking of going to the darkside..

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold the FJ - thinking of going to the darkside..

Been a long while since I've posted on here. I've had the pleasure of wheelin with a bunch of members here with my FJ Cruiser in the past few years, but that ship has sailed. I just recently sold the FJ so now looking for a new wheeler. When I sold it had a long travel front end, marlin crawler T-case and a host of other goodies. But it was starting to turn into a raisin, was running through axle shafts every 2-3 trips (rears)...so got out while I could still scrape up a good price on it. I've got my thoughts down to two different directions to take my new project. 1) Looking at 1st gen Tacoma double cabs, 3.4l and doing a SFA etc etc. 2) and I surprised myself with this one...a Jeep...specifically a JKU for the extra space/seating I need for longer trips and bringing family along. I know which option will get more responses here so I'll cut to the chase...
    Took a test drive in a 2014 this past weekend and it was pretty nice - fully loaded Rubi - not what I would buy but still very nice.. The salesman pitch was that the new motor in 2012 was a real "game changer"... he was also giving me the pitch on why the Rubicon was the much better choice for offroading due to all the added features...typical pitch
    My projected build on a JKU would have 37's at least (from what I've seen 35's just don't get the belly up high enough). Not looking to follow art in his moonbuggy but still want to be more capable than what I had before, take on trails in JV without major issues. I still love going on faster runs (Mojave, Baja etc) so I want to skip the bull and go for a quality coilover system, and most important is I'd rather wait to save some dough up and skip "build phase 1-3" and just get the right parts the first time.
    So my questions are this when looking at a JKU - again, apologize for Q's you all probably hear too much, but school a potential convert please..

Should I only look into the JKU's from 12 up with the 3.6 Pentastar engine? The price difference between a used 12 and new 14 is very small considering depreciation. Or is there more marketing hoopla to the story and I'd be fine with a 2007+? Other changes should be concerned with as well?

Are there common issues I should look for in a used JKU? With the FJ's it was things like fender cracks, cracked headers... the JK must be a street queen if used, not looking for a wheeled one so when I see undercarriage trail rash I'll walk away anyways.

With the added weight of the JKU and needing (aka wanting) 37's, are the rubi D44's worth it? Added cost of package w/doing the C gussets, sleeve...do they really hold up that well? Have also heard of the factory e-lockers failing being fairly common as well. Is the Rubi investment worth it if the 44's can be mildly built or would it be better money spent on the basic sport and swap axles with different lockers out right away? Same question goes with the T-case, if it's better to just go basic then to Atlas or others, I'm good with that.

Much appreciated in advanced. Trying to be "smarter" this time and have a full gameplan before signing any papers.

-Bobby

Here's what my suggestion is, try to find a used JK with atleast a CA smog legal v8 conversion, if it comes with a D60 14 bolt combo or Rockjocks great, coilovers even better. The run 40's for hammer trails, 37's anywhere else and you'll be a happy camper. That would be my route. For gnarly trails the limo needs 40's to get it up in the air some
    Last edited by aw12345; 08-18-14, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Bobby, welcome to the darkside.

I have a 2008 two door Rubicon with the 3.8 motor. It get me everywhere. I have driven the new JKU and the motor/trans are much nicer. I run 35s on mine (with only the Daystar 1 3/4 spacers) and do the milder trails.....I have something else for stupid. With the Rubicon you do get some nice additions and you can run 37s on them with a little lift. That would work ok if you can restrain yourself. The front 44 is the weak point and you can get a great upgraded 44 from Currie or Dynatrac. The locker would just transfer. Of course you would have to regear both ends. This kinda just gets things started.

The reality is, what all do you want it to do and what kind of budget. Try to do it only once.

Another thought is to buy the Rubicon and an inexpensive buggy for JV. You can buy an FToy for around 10K, when they come up sale.
      Rich

Comment

Bobby I've had both the 2007 and 2012 JK. I would never recommend the 2007-2011. The motors just don't cut it.

If you're going to put any money into the Jeep, don't waste your time on the 07-11. Pay a little more for the newer model - you won't regret it.

My 07 got 16 mpg and the 12 gets 21mpg with much greater performance.

Like Art says, you'll have to go with at least 37" tires to get the unlimited high enough for any of the tough trails. The 2 door is a different story. Mine has a 3 1/2 " lift and stock size tires open diff's and I've had it on all of the Big Bear trails and Shaver Lake trails and several others w/o any trouble.

Comment

I have a 2011 and I agree... the 3.8 is a terrible dog.
          mine is a JKU rubi with 38's. I sleeved and trussed the front axle, put in 5.13 gears and had to upgrade the driveshafts. I run only 3.5" of lift and did fairly extensive trimming to get the 38's under there.
          I havent broken anything on this rig (now I'm doomed) and I've run quite a few trails. I think the rubi package is worth it. Folks talk bad about the front 44 because they bend pretty easy but I'd say wheel it till it bends and buy a housing. I bet mine doesnt bend...It hasnt after 58000 miles and I'm not easy at all on it.
          the jku is neat. I can fold the seats and sleep on an air matress back there.
          i do worry about hitting the B pillar between the doors though.. that wouls suck
          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Thanks guys, this is the input I was looking for with the 11 to 12 changes. Right now I am planning on heading north to check out a possible rig tomorrow. It's not a jeep... but will meet all my needs for storage etc. The price is also right for what it is, since I have a DD and a work truck it will only really be used for weekend trips. And i'll still have some coin left in the bank to eventually do a trailer queen for, as Rich put it, the stupid stuff
            So if it goes well I will be back in action sooner than later. Thanks all.

Comment

If I were to make another offroad rig, I would probably do a flatbed jeep/truck. Lots of space to strap down things, and you can just throw a tarp over it and sleep on the flatbed with a sleeping bag and a soft roll-out mat. If the flatbed is dove-tailed, I don't think it would hang up on rocks to often. And a 45 degree angle skid (or wahtever angle fits) going from the rear of the bed down and inwards towards the rear axle would let it slide off of rocks.

Something similar to this:

[COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I have a stock 12' JKUR and it only gets 12 mpg. How are you getting 21 MPG ?
                You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

I don't know, but when I fill up that's what it gets. The mpg deal in the dash usually reads 21 or 22.

Comment

Being the co-owner of, ok - it's hers... an '07 JKU, I can say that they aren't as bad as what most people make it sound like. The 3.8 isn't necessarily a pig. It's just a mis-application of a fair motor, paired with a mediocre transmission. My experience with 4.10 gearing has been 15 mpg average and I will say it's just under-powered running on stock 18's that measure 31". The 3.6 sounds like a better motor for sure, but the star of the show would be the 5 speed automatic that was actually designed for a truck - not a minivan. It would keep your motor in a better operating range without lugging or revving to adjust to slight inclines. So, if you're looking for a weekend warrior, go '12 and up. If it's just the family limo, make sure it has at least 4.10's and be willing to save some money for upgrades.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Guess I couldn't do it yet. Ended up picking out an FZJ80 to fulfill my needs for a 4door wheeler/camping rig. Pretty well set up as is, locked with 37's, 3-linked and coilovers. Got it at a steal of a price so I still have money in the future (and no new payments) to eventually build a strictly play rig. I'm with you Daniel, probably a little truck/flat bed for just playing around.
                      Hope to see you guys on the trails soon

Comment

post some photos when you get it!
                        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                          post some photos when you get it!
                          I picked it up last weekend. Haven't even been able to stretch it out on the trails, just a few rocks in the front yard lol. It only took the one drive home to decide on regearing it. Currently getting a set of 5.29's and front ARB along with all the fresh fluids etc for a 20yr old rig. Let's just say the 1FZ didn't like pushing those 37's with 4.10's up the grapevine. Fronts already pretty dialed in with ditching the whacky radius arm set up for a 3-link and new knuckles with 1ton high steer (80's come stock with a rear mounted tierod). Living/working in LA now so I'm the lazy guy with no garage so it's on a lift in my buddies shop. Will have to do a bear shakedown run as soon as it's done

Comment

Nice! That front end looks mean from the side!

Hows the under side as far as skids go?

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                              Nice! That front end looks mean from the side!

Hows the under side as far as skids go?
                              Has a belly skid, 1/4" plate covering the tcase and transmission. Not really much else needed, links keep the oil pan protected well and the rear link mounts that are a bit bent up are getting chopped off eventually anyways. Will be reworking the rear for coilovers to match the front. Only stuff that really hangs down and you can see in the pics, are the cat's. Planning to try and rotate them up to get a more flat belly. They're covered up for now by the sliders.

Comment

Working...
                              X