Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: 4.0 bellhousing to block bolt pattern differences

Hi guy's, anyone know of differences between years of 4.0 motors as to the bellhousing to block bolt pattern ??? My rig is a 2001 TJ with the 4.0 motor and it has the factory three speed auto trans. The 4.0 replacement motor is out of a 2005 Rubicon with a manual trans. According to my mechanic,..The bolt pattern is different.

I guess next option is a different trans that fits or sell the motor and find another one of like pattern.

PS> sure was looking forward to going wheeling again...:sad:
    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Should be the same, only difference is how the crank sensor mounts the 2003 and up mount it in a hole in the bellhousing. I got a 6 speed manual that will bolt right to your engine and has the crank sensor hole in the right place.
    Last edited by aw12345; 06-21-14, 06:27 PM.

Comment

The bellhousing from 2004 and up with the round 2-0'clock mounting hole is easily modified for the earlier two-tab 11-o'clock style from manuals '87-'03. Check me on this, the autos of the earlier years used a round one-tab at 11-o'clock. Not sure how easy it would be to modify for that.
      What you are more concerned about is that the 2005 CPS pickup is at the 2-o'clock position. Put your 2001 flywheel on it with your original transmission and run it with your original sensors and ignition goodies. IIRC the 2001 still used a distributor cap where the 2005 has coil packs.
      Where would he get the idea the bolt patterns were different???
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
        the 2001 still used a distributor cap where the 2005 has coil packs.
        Where would he get the idea the bolt patterns were different???
        Actually the 2001 does have coil packs as well. The spacer plate bolt pattern is different from one to the other. Trying to figure any and all options....
        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

That's strange. I have a 2005 bellhousing that bolted right up to a 92 block. Are you looking at the bolt patterns or is this what he is telling you? It almost sounds like someone is looking at the plate in the wrong direction. Make sure the hole for the starter is on the passenger side of the block. It's good that you have the coil packs, so all of your electronics package should be plug & play. If it's just a difference in the location of the screws around the bottom not lining up, just mark and re-drill them. I'm not familiar with how the automatic is sealed around the bottom of the bellhousing, but 100% the blocks bolt pattern is the same.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
            Actually the 2001 does have coil packs as well. The spacer plate bolt pattern is different from one to the other. Trying to figure any and all options....
            Post pictures, will help the discussion

Comment

Working...
            X