Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to position seat belt bung on B pillar?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Where to position seat belt bung on B pillar?

So I'm finally getting around to putting a shoulder belt in the Willys. I have a set of seatbelt bungs that I'm going to weld into the B pillars for a 3 point shoulder belt. I haven't decided yet if I want retractable or not, but I imagine the placement of the B pillar bung is the same? I will probably try a non-retractable belt first. All of the controls that I need to operate while driving I can reach without leaning forward.

But anyway, that aside,

I'm looking at my TJ, the bung is about eye/ear height when sitting down, the front belts have the bung/bolt parallel to the frame (sticking straight out forward), the rear seat belt bolts/bungs are mounted facing inward maybe 30 degrees or so.

Is there any rule of thumb on how high and at what angle to mount the seat belt bung? Or does it not really make a huge difference, so long as it's above the shoulder and facing generally forward? I'm thinking about having it just like my TJ, ear height, with the bolt parallel to the frame.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

I just checked the YJ and with my 5'9" height and OEM seats, the bolt is ear height. The bolt might become lower once I get new seats.

Comment

Use your TJ, measure the seat height of the seat (not the back) then measure the height of the shoulder mount. If it feels ok in the TJ, it'll probably be ok in the willys. Season according to taste.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

When I did my shoulder straps (not the same as yours. 4pt), Crow had a write up on the proper way to install them. Do a bit of google research. I'm sure you'll find some safe & correct, guidelines out there.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
        X