Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluids

I was just told my fluids were dirty and needed to be changed. I'll do the work myself but this is what I was told I need to change with:

Front differential
    75-90 gear oil with posi additive

Rear differential
    75w90 with limited slip additive

Transfer case service Transfer case
    dexron 3 mercon fluid

When I went to the auto parts store with this list I was told these were the wrong fluids, I asked if it was different since I have ARB's front and rear and he said no? I still have the d30 up front and d44 for the rear?

No need for a posi additive with ARB.
    What does ARB say to use?
    I run ft & re D/L's and use 80W90 gear oil.
    T'case, haven't a clue-Is it a chain drive??
    Find another so-called 'mechanic'---
    You can get it all at NAPA.
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

yea, not sure why he would be suggesting the additives, even from the factory I think the only TJs that had posi were the Rubicons, and that was only in the rear (posi when the locker is unlocked)
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I found this ARB Blog "Answer/Question" site. Here was one of the questions regarding my same question.

Q: What gear oil should I run with my ARB Air Locker

A: Any conventional or synthetic gear oil that is appropriate for your location and driving style. Stay away from anything that says “For Limit-Slip Diffs” or “Friction Modifiers”

Makes me wonder :confused: My fluids also only have about 2,000 miles, but about 2 years since they've been changed.

Comment

Question... Did the guy who told you your fluids (indicating all)were dirty, have a big ASE patch on his shirt?

If you have the NP-231 like most Wranglers, then ATF is what's spec'd from the OEM. You can also use 5W-30 engine oil in them too. There are some rebuilders who do this and I've done it for years. No problems and a lot easier to have only two oil types on hand.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Recommrnded fluid for 231 t case is atf. ATF4 for both auto tranny and t case. Dont depend on time to dictate when to change diff oil. If you run through deep water alot then at least check the diff oil whenever you do run through water. I change mine twice a year because im anal about clean fluids. Its cheap insurance. T case maybe every two years but i check quarterly. Any high quality diff oil either conventional or synthetic is ok for the diffs. No addatives though. Higher viscosity for hotter climates, lower viscosity for colder climates.
            Last edited by RAT; 05-02-14, 08:44 AM.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for all the clarification. Is there some kind of pump to get old fluids out of the transfer case and diffs, or do I need to break down covers and replace with gasket/seal?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                Thanks for all the clarification. Is there some kind of pump to get old fluids out of the transfer case and diffs, or do I need to break down covers and replace with gasket/seal?
                If you have newer rubicon axles there is a drain plug on the pinion side of the pumpkin. Older d30, 35, and 44s you have to yank the cover. Or you buy a transfer pump from pep boys. Inexpensive, work well for filling, so so for removing oil. It won't get all the old oil. Its not that bad removing the covers. If you do, don't use a gasket. Clean the mating surfaces really well and apply a thin coat of rtv sealer to both surfaces. Let them set for about 20 minutes then put the cover back on and tighten it down. OR... take it to jiffy lube. They have good pumps there
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

T-case has a drain plug and a fill plug by the rear output; be careful because the aluminum case doesn't like it if you overtighten the steel plugs.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                    T-case has a drain plug and a fill plug by the rear output; be careful because the aluminum case doesn't like it if you overtighten the steel plugs.

Thanks for the pic.......and really good to know about over tightening, I tend to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X