Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: loose knuckle?

So.... as I was working on the Willys this evening, I noticed quite alot of play in the passenger side knuckle

Is it a big deal to rebuild these? What's the usual thing that makes them so loose? I've only had ball joint knuckles before, never had one of these closed joint knuckles.

[COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

It should have king pins of sorts. Quick look shows pin/caps with tapered bearings. So if the cap/ pins are good, look at the tapered bearings. You can shim the end play on those. Look up repair instructions for a Dana 25 front axle

Comment

I'd say that is a little bit loose. But it just adds to the flex!
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
        I'd say that is a little bit loose. But it just adds to the flex!
        I don't want flex while I'm going 55mph, it might rip the steering wheel out from my hands

It's funny, on my TJ, I'm sure this amount of play in the ball joints would have me death wobbling at 5mph. But on the old willys, man I didn't even notice anything was wrong! HAH

I must have a good steering stabilizer
        Last edited by daniel_buck; 04-12-14, 09:01 AM.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
        X