Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise from belt/pulleys?

A few days ago my serpentine belt started squeaking on my 06 TJ. I didn't see any water coming from the water pump, and after putting a bar of soap to the belt, the noise went away. So I figured it was either the belt or the pulleys, and not the water pump itself. But, now the noise is back.

The belt is pretty new, but the pulley on the tensioner was wiggling, so on my lunch break today I replaced the pulley on the tensioner. (glad I have an electric impact now!)

The noise hasn't gone away. So, I checked all the other pulleys while I had the tensioner slacked, to see if any of them wiggled. Both the power steering pulley, and the A/C pulley wiggle a bit. Not horrible, but they do wiggle.

The noise does indeed sound like it's coming from the driver side, the side that the A/C and PS pumps are on. I'm loathed to try and put my stethoscope down there though, with the fan blades spinning 1/2 an inch away. I suppose it would be worth it to take the fan blade off and check to see exactly which pulley is squealing? All the other pulleys seem rock solid.

So... can JUST the pulleys on the PS and AC pumps be replaced? Or does the wiggle on the pulleys mean that the pumps themselves are in need of replacing?
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

the bearing in the water pump is propbably going.. or an idler pulley. They shoot down the road like hockey pucks when they go... ask me.. I know

Comment

change the water pump to a high flow unit...they are cheap...

Comment

Even if the sound is coming from the driver side? I don't think it's coming from the center. BUT, if they are prone to failure, I don't have a problem replacing it while I'm at it.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

I am no expert. I just know that when one of the bearings starts squeaking...that it is going to fail sooner rather than later... if it's been a while... start trouble shooting by replacing them one at a time...

Comment

It's possible that it's the belt, when I put soap on the belt it gets quiet for 1/2 a minute or so. Picked up a belt on my way back to work, I'll pop it on when I get home. I don't remember how many miles are on my belt that's on there now, but it's fairly new, maybe 10-15k miles? how many miles do you normally get on a belt? Seems to be I remember getting alot more than that.

Comment

Well, end ended up being the belt after all. The old belt looks perfectly good to me! Oh well, now I have two trail spares

Comment

When you put soap on the belt and it stopped that eliminated a pulley/bearing noise. At the shop I would pour water on it. Coolant leaks, oil leaks on belts and mis-aligned pulleys will cause the belt to glaze and make noise also.

The belt squeak can also be a symptom. The power steering pulley is pressed on the pump and doesn't normally have play. If you had replaced the pump and not pressed the pulley on all the way it will cause noise but not be loose. The AC compressor pulley sits on a big bearing and is either pressed of bolted. The only way for that to have play would be the bearing and that would growl. Keep an eye on them for noise. Its possible the belt just glazed especially if you bought a cheap belt. I only run Gates belts. The cheaper ones tend to glaze fast and squeak on my vehicles.

Scott
                Come to the dark side.....
                We have Cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
                  When you put soap on the belt and it stopped that eliminated a pulley/bearing noise. At the shop I would pour water on it. Coolant leaks, oil leaks on belts and mis-aligned pulleys will cause the belt to glaze and make noise also.

The belt squeak can also be a symptom. The power steering pulley is pressed on the pump and doesn't normally have play. If you had replaced the pump and not pressed the pulley on all the way it will cause noise but not be loose. The AC compressor pulley sits on a big bearing and is either pressed of bolted. The only way for that to have play would be the bearing and that would growl. Keep an eye on them for noise. Its possible the belt just glazed especially if you bought a cheap belt. I only run Gates belts. The cheaper ones tend to glaze fast and squeak on my vehicles.

Scott
                  Happens to me from time to time on dusty trails. take it to the self serve car wash and blast the crap out of your engine bay. You might have dust where it's not supposed to be. Worth a shot.
                  1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                  X