Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Selection for a Jeep

While winches are like generators, compressors and money...the more the better, the question often comes up as to what is the minimum winch rating a Jeep owner should purchase. The industry rule of thumb is 1.5x GVWR. Jeeps have typically been around a GVWR of 5000 lbs which comes to a 7500 lb winch rating. While an 8000 lb winch would be enough, much is dependent on how hard you are wheeling and if your Jeep is stock or modified, guys with more capable rigs seem to find themselves in much more difficult recovery situations and hence need a higher winch rating to drag their rig out of the tough spot vs a stock rig getting planted in some light mud or sand on relatively flat ground.

Typically I will tell people a 9000-9500 lb winch will certainly do the trick but if your bumper is rated and has enough physical room to mount a larger winch it certainly never hurts to go with a 10k-13k winch. However, I stand behind a 8000-9500 lb winch rating is plenty for most Jeeps.

We carry the Engo and Viper winches and have solutions for just about every application. I personally have been running a Viper Max 12k but am about to go to an Engo 9000S or 10000S. Both manufacturers offer great winches for the money.

http://usoffroad.us/store/winches/Vehicle-Winches

Having said all of that I've started this poll so everyone can state which rating they are using. Is your winch an 8000, 9-9500, 10,000 or 12,000+?

If you don't mind replying with the manufacturer and model it would be nice. Any other feedback and experience would be good to have as well. I'm posting this on several sites so I can accumulate some meaningful data.
    8000 lbs
    14.29%
    9000-9500 lbs
    71.43%
    10,000 lbs
    9.52%
    12,000+ lbs
    4.76%
    Brad Galbraith
    U.S. Off Road

OK, I will play. I did not enter a number, since I have two.

On my JK I run a Warn HS9500 (used previously on my CJ7 and have had for years). I think it is one of the best winches ever made. Nice speed and reliable.

On my buggy I have a Warn M8000. It is one of their lower priced winches and feel for the buggy it would be fine for pulling off a rock or so. I knew that it would not be a great winch for long pulls or many pulls over a short time. I have tested that and it is not great for that purpose.
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
      OK, I will play. I did not enter a number, since I have two.

On my JK I run a Warn HS9500 (used previously on my CJ7 and have had for years). I think it is one of the best winches ever made. Nice speed and reliable.
      Just vote the 9500. I'm accumulating these results from about a dozen forums so every vote and response helps.
      Brad Galbraith
      U.S. Off Road

Comment

I use a Superwinch 9000IE that is not made anymore. Shame. It's a bad ass winch. I put my winch through the kind of Hell even the manufacturers probably don't come up with. Mine is not a hood ornament. Over 2000 HEAVY pulls on this one in rain, snow, heat. Pulling in excess of 4000 lb boulders, trees, you name it. Very long pulls too. Some have gone well over 5 minutes continuous pull. The only thing that suffers is my battery. I hope when this one finally lets go I can find another Superwinch that can match it.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Warn M8000 with synthetic line on my TJ. Seems to be doing well enough.
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I run a Warn 9500i and have had it for 15 yrs. Never wimpered even once. I now run a 3/8 Amstel Blue line and it pulls like a champ.

For a jeep you want at least a 9,000 lb winch. Steel or synthetic is your choice but synthetic weighs less and is absolutely safer. Steel, you could care less if it rides on rocks, brush, sand etc. Synthetic, you gotta tend to those issues.... I'd never buy anything other than Warn personally.
            Last edited by brokenujoint; 04-15-14, 10:09 AM.
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

m8000 w Viking Synthetic... I rarely use it because I am such an amazing driver

Comment

Superwinch epi9000. Same winch as Kurt. AWESOME winch. Fast line speed and low current draw. It's a shame they don't make them any more.
                "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                  m8000 w Viking Synthetic... I rarely use it because my jeep never runs

fixed it for ya
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                  www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                    fixed it for ya
                    Ouch, lol!

Comment

Have the ENGO E9000 with synthetic rope and so far have no problems with it.

Comment

I just got a warn 9500i from 4wheelonline. I would say its more than enough for its power and need. And what is best is that its affordable.

Comment

Working...
                        X