Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an old FJ40 to pass emissions?

A friend of mine picked up a 76 FJ40 that has an early 2000 350ci motor in it, with (I'm guessing) no emissions equipment. Not sure if he got it from out of state, or what, I've not seen the truck yet. It's fuel injected, but I don't know what type yet. I'll find out more info soon.

Anyway, he's wondering what all we need do so that it will pass emissions here in CA? I know for sure catalytic converters, and I guess an EGR valve and air pump are also probably going to be needed?

It's a 350 motor, so I imagine there are TONS of parts available for it, just not sure what exactly we need for his year vehicle. Do we just go by what was originally on the vehicle, and then put the equivilent of those parts onto the 350 motor? Is it even possible to have a 350 motor in an old Toyota pass visual inspection?

Any input appreciated, I don't have much experience with california emissions, my TJ passes just fine, and my CJ is to old for emissions.
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 01-28-14, 03:07 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
    Do we just go by what was originally on the vehicle, and then put the equivilent of those parts onto the 350 motor? Is it even possible to have a 350 motor in an old Toyota pass visual inspection?
    I had to with my swap. Motor had to have the same trans that was available on donor vehicle. Basically I could not use a 1980's Turbo 350 or TH400 on my 1999 motor. Had to use a 4L60E. He also made a big deal about the routing of the exhaust which I thought was chicken:poop:. The intake must be factory as well from the MAF back to the intake.
    Check out .

Comment

When you say factory, you mean factory for the donor vehicle?

I don't know what transmission was used, I'll find out.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Correct. My motor came from a 1999 S10. According to the referee I went to I could only use a 4L60E or a NV3500 as they were the only option from the factory on that vehicle.

Also, if it's an OBDII make sure you have a MIL light. I had one but he failed me because it was no labeled. You can see in this picture the yellow indicator light has MIL on it.
        Last edited by dirtman13; 01-29-14, 09:45 AM.
        Check out .

Comment

Your 'friend' should have researched this BEFORE buying.
          He has a long and expensive road ahead. PRK has the most strict emissions in the country.
          Wish my '85 CJ-7 was to old for test'n.......
          LG
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Well his choice of vehicle is what it is.

Me, I got my old jeep way way out of emissions range. But, I'm willing to help him get his yota road legal whatever it takes

Comment

It's not impossible but it will take time and money here in this wonderful state we live in. I don't regret doing mine but sometime on the highway I wish I would have done the V8. Off road it rocks.
              Check out .

Comment

What about arizona?
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                  What about arizona?
                  Might be an easier solution. I like it.
                  Check out .

Comment

What about arizona?
                    With a CA, DL? ya no red flags there, when you get pulled over in PRK.
                    BTW, many parts of Az has some type of SMOG ck's.
                    LG

Comment

I have two friends that have been doing it for years. So it must work for some.
                      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

I have two friends that have been doing it for years. So it must work for some.
                        If, your two friends are in fact not Az residents.
                        It's called fraud, not worth it in legal costs if prosecuted by the state.
                        YMMV,
                        LG

Comment

They have arizona mailing addresses. Ca driver licences and arizona I'D cards.

Comment

When I was in Arizona, they did smog checks too, although not as strict as they are here in CA.

Comment

Go down and talk to your local smog refferee.

When I did mine the guy was super nice, and laid out exactly what he wanted to see to have it blessed by the state
                              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X