Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless mig welding

I finally got a hf 170A mig. My stainless header celebrated by snapping in half at the 2 into 1 collector above the donut flange. Has anybody used stainless flux core mig wire? All I can find is that it works great and nobody makes it. It's flux core but requires tri-mix. Just a lot confusing. Would there be any drawback to just using regular flux core? I plan on fish plating it with some stainless sheet to provide a little more beef for the weld to hold together.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

You don't need stainless wire to weld stainless steel unless corrosion is a big concern or it needs to be food safe, or something like that. The health dept won't let you sell burritos cooked on your manifold, and it won't pass inspection as a NPP, but structurally it will be fine.
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 01-02-14, 08:13 AM.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
      You don't need stainless wire to weld stainless steel unless corrosion is a big concern or it needs to be food safe, or something like that. The health dept won't let you sell burritos cooked on your manifold, and it won't pass inspection as a NPP, but structurally it will be fine.
      Npp???
      -sons of thunder

Comment

I have welded plenty of stainless exhaust with plain steel mig wire works fine

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
          Npp???
          Nuclear power plant.

Congrats on the welder!
          holes = cowbell

Comment

I just found that the maker of the header offers a limited lifetime warranty. I just contacted the dealer to see if they would honor the same warranty with photo proof. Wish me luck... I have (and provided them with) an email sent to me by them before I bought it that stated it was CA OK. Oopsie on their part. Apparently its in review for an EO. Fact is, I bought it from them and records can be pulled. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The reviews and price on the welder have only gone higher since I bought it. I happened to find a coupon that made it right at affordable. It seems to have enough power for 1/4", especially if I hit the work piece from both sides. I have a few years experience with their self darkening helmet too. Not a Caddy, but does the job for a hack like me. I got that out the door for less than $40 so I was pretty happy.
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Spent the day learning to weld in Chinese.
              -sons of thunder

Comment

I'm confused. Not a big fan of Airgas anyway. I've dealt with some real schmucks in there. Try Cameron Welding Supply. I've had good dealings with their Murrieta store. If you have time, you might also look at CL for used bottles. Why buy a new one just to have them swap it out for some ol' POS with a worn-out valve? Just make sure it has the right valve on it or that it's still a good deal if you have to pay $30 for a new one.
                reba

Comment

Working...
                X