Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake caliper bolt

I noticed the other day when I pulled my right front wheel off that the top brake caliper bolt was missing. I replaced it but apparently the caliper it's self is stripped so I'm not able to tighten much. I was wondering if I were to put some of that red bolt stuff on the threads if it would hold?
    thanks

Try this
    http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Knu...-Saver-Kit.htm
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

use the link that was given if you want to repair it that way. I tapped mine out one size larger and slightly mod'd the barrel washer inside.. cut a line thru it and stretched it slightly... Also you could simply go to a junk yard and pull one off a cherokee for about 10 bucks on 1/2 off day. Not a hard swap to do at all. Just dont be like me and buy one that had the SAME exact hole stripped out. Do yourself a favor and check it 1st. Also it only torques down to about 13 ft lbs. Dont over tighten it. You'd be surprised how tensile that iron is .
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, glad to see Im not the only one to have this problem. While Im at it I think Ill replace that u-joint that's on the axle shaft. Does anyone know if that's the same u-joint that would be used on my drive line, or is it different. Just wondering since I have an extra I keep for the drive line.

Comment

The driveshaft and front axle shaft u-joints are different, use a Spicer 5-1310x for the driveshafts and a Spicer 5-760x for the axle shafts. Both are much more rugged & reliable than the same size Spicer u-joints the factory installed. Both are direct replacments for what the factory installed.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
            The driveshaft and front axle shaft u-joints are different, use a Spicer 5-1310x for the driveshafts and a Spicer 5-760x for the axle shafts. Both are much more rugged & reliable than the same size Spicer u-joints the factory installed. Both are direct replacments for what the factory installed.
            what he said. Dont fool yourself with anything other than Spicer. Best place to find them anymore is at drive line shops. Napa wont carry it anymore, vatozone, craigen, oreilys, none of these places carry spicer..
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.....found and ordered at www.4WheelParts.com

Comment

4wheelparts is a reliable and convenient source for Spicer parts. You can often find better deals through a local driveline shop. While you have it apart doing the 760 u-joint, take the time to cut the shaft for full circle snap rings. Some people call them cir-clips, external snap rings, etc... As long as it looks like an "O" with the tangs positioned to the outside you're good. The size is 1 1/16"ID. Check your local home depot. They call them "spring retainers". Check the inventory of several stores online before going there - HD does a weird thing of stocking certain parts in certain areas and not in others. They cost about $1 each and are cheap insurance against losing a cap.
                Last edited by 6spdYJ; 09-07-13, 10:23 PM.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                X