Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be able to do it. Be careful of the threads. If you have a press, why not push out the studs in the bent axle, and put them in the replacement. If you don't want to re use them, pressing one out, will help you with the sizing you need. Try Summit Racing. They are good with that stuff. Call them, they has been helpful to me in the past.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

yea, I could re-use the old ones I guess, but I was going to go ahead and get new studs for all of my spare axles, they won't do me any good if I can't mount the wheels to them

I guess it's good I found this out now, rather than on the trail if I ever need to swap one.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

If you re-use the old ones, make sure you have a nut on the end to protect the threads. It would be a big bummer to press them in and have the ends boogered up.
        One caution - studs have splines on the shaft just past the head that actually cram corresponding splines in the axle flange. If you re-use them, you can line up the splines and use a socket or a stack of washers over the stud and pull it in with a nut. The tension needed to pull it into an already formed spline won't stress the stud at all. If you have to apply more than 120 lb-ft to do it, then you have reason to be concerned. You may get away with re-using them once, but the splines in the flange will warble out eventually and your studs can spin. If you have the time, research dorman, rockauto and summit to find your stock replacement length and spline size, then order the same length or longer if needed and be sure to get a larger spline diameter (.002-.003" bigger).
        You'll be surprised how easy it is.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

the studs are cheap, I was just going to buy new ones, just need to find out how long they are
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

try dorman # 98128.1

98' Sahara D44 with drum brakes

1.5" from start of spline to end of threads.

this is a part # I saved and I have an extra here if you can't find what you need.
            You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Working...
            X