Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push Button (Start)

Recently I haven't been able to start my tj with out having to climb underneath and touch a screw driver to the connectors on the solenoid/starter. The key still unlocks my steering, and lights up all my accessories. So what I want to do is add a push button for my start. The push button has a place for two wires.... I want to keep this as simple as possible. I want to still be able to use my key for steering lock and accessories. Can I just grab two wires from my ignition switch and splice into them and run over to my push button? Im thinking that if I use two wires from here I won't have to deal with any type of switches or relays.....another thought, can I just run two wires from my solenoid/starter to push button, still using my key for steering and accessories?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 08-04-13, 10:49 AM.

Have you checked the clutch switch if it's a manual trans version?

Comment

No clutch, its auto trans...

Comment

Look at failure of the neutral switch or jumper it. You could even wire into that for your push button.
        Have you tried starting it in neutral instead of park?

Comment

I replaced the ignition switch in the column but that didn't work. I have tried neutral and park but neither one allowing me to start. I read that sometimes it could be the Neutral Safety Switch but I still have back-up lights and I really didn't want to pull my skid plates off to replace. So Im not sure why it quit starting by using the key, that's why I though a easy fix might be a push button start.

Comment

It would be easy get a hot wire run it to the push button asnd then another wire straight to the S terminal on the starter

Comment

So would that be a hot wire straight from battery to one side of push button and the other side to one of the connectors on solenoid?

Comment

Or run it of an ignition wire. So the key still controls it. If you take the panel of under the steering colum you can get at the ignition switch connector on the right side of the column. You could even find the starter hot there and run a wire from there directly to the starter so in essence you bypass the neutral switch

Comment

What color of wire am I looking at for the ignition switch, would It be red? Would my push button be wired in between or do I just run a wire directly off of it to the button, and then the other side to solenoid?

Comment

Use a test light, tap into the wire that gets hot with the key on or find the wire that gets hot in the start position. If you cut the latter one and run that wire directly to the starter you do not have to use a separate button. makes things a bit more secure

Comment

Ok I think I can follow those instructions.... one wire to hot wire in steering column (gets hot with key on). The other side wire to starter. I'm just hoping that wiring so close to the ignition switch doesn't encounter the same problem why it quit starting in the first place. Ill post back with the results...... thanks for your help!

Comment

It has a connector you should be able to tap into

Comment

When you replaced the ignition switch did you also replace the little plastic rod too? Mike had this same issue and replaced the ignition switch, had the same results as you then changed the broken plastic rod that actuates the switch (Mike correct me if I'm wrong) and that was the problem.
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Kurt's right. I had a very similar problem not too long ago. I changed out my ignition switch too and it didn't fix it. What it turned out to be is that the cast metal piece that fits into the ignition switch was cracked. It would partially turn the switch, but was not strong enough to actually turn the switch to the crank position.

This is a known issue and Jeep has produced a stronger aftermarket piece to replace it. The way to check it is to take your switch back out and pull on the metal part that inserts into it. If it flexes at all, it needs to be replaced. It is an easy fix, but the part is over $100 at most stealerships.
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Oh no... I did not try that. I don't remember seeing a small plastic rod, is it in back of the key switch? what is the name of it? I will look into it before putting in a push button.
                              Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 08-05-13, 05:40 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Working...
                              X