Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: High Steer Kit

Who's got one? I've got a 2000 TJ. Trying to find out who makes a good one and who to stay away from. Figure, I'll complete my build with one of those kits.

Also inquiring for an 88 YJ..

Thanks for any info!

Lorie
    Jeep Girl

Unless you plan on addressing your track bar mounts to get it to match your drag link, all high steer will give you is horrible bump steer. Get the Currie kit from Savvy with their upgraded tie rod if you don't.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

I currently have the Currie Correctlink. Upgrading and building my rig this weekend and next; bumping up to 35's in the process..but I'm tired of hitting the damn tie rod. I've had to straighten it out already one time, and thanks to John Bull, looks like again ...want the tie rod sitting higher.

Will keep that in mind though. Thank you
      Jeep Girl

Comment

Wrote you the same story in your favorite place

Lori I would stick with the Currie setup, it's easy to straighten in a press, doesn't collapse like the stock tierod so it will always get you home. You can get that fancy savvy tierod.
        True Hi steer for a stock Dana 30 of any kind is expensive and not as easy as it looks.
        The Terra knuckle is not a good start.
        a flip kit for the driverside stock knuckle helps the Currie setup a bit.
        Just looked at the Terra setup
        Really not much of an improvement for the money.
        A simple flipkit gets the tierod just as high.
        It's a good setup for a YJ with a spring over.
        For a TJ not so good,for 600 something bucks you still use the driverside stock knuckle so it doesn't raise the tierod higher than you can achieve with a 7 dollar flip kit.
        Then you have to start thinking about making a new trackbar plus mounts so it matches the length and angle of the new draglink. Lot of work for no real gain.
        http://www.teraflex.biz/high-steer-system.html

You can start looking at Reid knuckles, they would make it possible to built a true hi steer setup kinda like what I got on my put put Jeep.
        It has a spot for a bolt on real hi steer arm. will make it possible to use Chevy or Ford hubs, rotors and 1/2 ton pickup brakes. So if Y'all don't mind a lot of work that looks like the most viable option

http://www.reidracing.biz/off-road-p...-44-knuckles-2
        Last edited by aw12345; 07-31-13, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks Art There was something else I wanted to ask you, but its obviously too early b/c I cant recall...I'll hit you up later!
          Jeep Girl

Comment

I remember now!!! I wanted to ask you who to go with for a tire carrier now that I'm going 35's? I've been very careful to try and keep the weight low on my 4 banger, so was wondering which one I should get that's a good one too? The set up I have now won't work..
            Jeep Girl

Comment

Originally posted by I H8RDS View Post
              I remember now!!! I wanted to ask you who to go with for a tire carrier now that I'm going 35's? I've been very careful to try and keep the weight low on my 4 banger, so was wondering which one I should get that's a good one too? The set up I have now won't work..
              A very good tire carrier Lori that will hold up without sagging, squeaking, or rattling under the weight of 35's is made by Off Road Fabricators. I've had one on both TJs and have yet to see any other tire carrier I'd rather have. The first one on my previous TJ was installed just over ten years & even with the two jerry cans it also carried, it was still sag-free and rattle-free the last time I saw it. They have two models, one has space on it for two 5 gallon jerry cans. Not to mention it doesn't mount to the bumper so you can run any bumper you want. It supports its weight via hidden brackets that bolt to the rear rollbar bases so you won't find a stronger carrier in my opinion. http://www.orfab.com/

And the others are right to recommend you stay with the Currie steering kit. You may have bent the tie rod, I have done that several times to mine too, but Currie specificially heat treated its tie rod so it would bend just before something more critical broke. So that it bent very likely meant it kept something else from breaking.

I'd do Blaine Johnson's tie-rod mod which moves the driver's side up on top of the knuckle to give it more ground clearance, and then get some help on getting the interference issue straightened out.

And X2 on the comment about a high steer kit just giving you major bump steer. High steer steering manufacturers make it sound glorious but they don't tell you about its other effects.
              Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 08-01-13, 07:41 AM.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanks Jerry..I thought about PMing you about this....what do you know/think about http://www.gr8tops.com/index.php?opt...ash&Itemid=113 Rich on WF loves his..

As for the dang tie rod situation..Blaine Johnson's tie-rod mod? I'll share this with Ron. Don't know anything about it.

is this the heavier duty Savvy one?
                http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...4&categoryId=7 and I'm assuming I can probably just buy the tie rod for around $300?
                Jeep Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                  A very good tire carrier Lori that will hold up without sagging, squeaking, or rattling under the weight of 35's is made by Off Road Fabricators. I've had one on both TJs and have yet to see any other tire carrier I'd rather have. The first one on my previous TJ was installed just over ten years & even with the two jerry cans it also carried, it was still sag-free and rattle-free the last time I saw it. They have two models, one has space on it for two 5 gallon jerry cans. Not to mention it doesn't mount to the bumper so you can run any bumper you want. It supports its weight via hidden brackets that bolt to the rear rollbar bases so you won't find a stronger carrier in my opinion. http://www.orfab.com/

And the others are right to recommend you stay with the Currie steering kit. You may have bent the tie rod, I have done that several times to mine too, but Currie specificially heat treated its tie rod so it would bend just before something more critical broke. So that it bent very likely meant it kept something else from breaking.

I'd do Blaine Johnson's tie-rod mod which moves the driver's side up on top of the knuckle to give it more ground clearance, and then get some help on getting the interference issue straightened out.

And X2 on the comment about a high steer kit just giving you major bump steer. High steer steering manufacturers make it sound glorious but they don't tell you about its other effects.
                  I need a carrier that will fit with my armor that goes from my doors , along the side of my Jeep and wraps around the corners...made by smittybuilt.
                  Jeep Girl

Comment

Thanks Jerry..I thought about PMing you about this....what do you know/think about http://www.gr8tops.com/index.php?opt...ash&Itemid=113 Rich on WF loves his..

As for the dang tie rod situation..Blaine Johnson's tie-rod mod? I'll share this with Ron. Don't know anything about it.

is this the heavier duty Savvy one?
                    http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...4&categoryId=7 and I'm assuming I can probably just buy the tie rod for around $300?
                    I don't know anything about the Exogate Lori but it looks like a reasonable alternative if the ORF's cost is out of reach. But do email Gerald at Savvy Offroad to see what his price is, his is discounted from MSRP. I PM'd you his email address but here it is again... gman@savvyoffroad.com

Blaine's tie rod mod is relatively simple but requires a bit of welding, it moves the driver's side tie rod mount to the top side of the knuckle for more ground clearance. He could do it for you in 30 minutes the next time you're heading down or up the 15 back home from the desert. Ream out the TRE mounting bolt hole with a tapered reamer, insert the tapered bushing. Remove the driver's side antiswaybar link axle mounting bracket & weld the Blaine-supplied replacement one spacer-height higher. Insert the TRE into the new tapered bushing, set the toe-in, and you're done.

Savvy's heat-treated tie rod (which I run) will give slightly then spring back if you nail it on the trail. I haven't had a bent tie rod since installing it. Blaine designed it, I trust it.

Hope this helps ya a little Lori.

Jerry
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Lori,

For the tire carrier, you might also consider reaching out to Josh and Leadfoot Offroad. Josh is a member of MJR and does great work! He does quite a bit of work for many MJR folk.

Randy
                      Regards,
                      Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Yup Lori have him built some sort of copy of the Genright stinger style carrier. Mine worked good on Helldorado, Jeep sat on it while I did a happy dance on the front tire.
                        Or talk to Kurt, I am sure he can whip up something cool

Comment

Thanks a lot you guys! Appreciate it
                          Jeep Girl

Comment

hey... josh from LEADFOOT OFFROAD..

let me know if there is anything I can help you out with... we make some cool bumpers, and all our work is top notch

LEADFOOT OFFROAD
                            2974 First St
                            Unit C
                            La Verne Ca 91750
                            909-278-RACE (7223)
                            Thanks a lot you guys! Appreciate it
                            [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                            PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                              Yup Lori have him built some sort of copy of the Genright stinger style carrier. Mine worked good on Helldorado, Jeep sat on it while I did a happy dance on the front tire.
                              Or talk to Kurt, I am sure he can whip up something cool
                              Better yet, call Keith at GenRight and get the real thing, 805 584-8635.

Comment

Working...
                              X