Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welders

Daniel this is what I carry when I'm out jeeping by myself.

IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

I've got an old stick welder, I could at least take the stinger, ground clamp, hammer and sticks from that. Aide from that, it just needs a connection to a battery (or two?)
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 06-20-13, 04:00 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Depends on what your welding. And that's why you carry different size rod.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Curtis what size is the wire (# and length) for the clamps? I will be duplicating your set up so I can weld on Mikes jeep on trail runs

Comment

Originally posted by Hook&Ladder View Post
          Curtis what size is the wire (# and length) for the clamps? I will be duplicating your set up so I can weld on Mikes jeep on trail runs

Borrow Chucky's welder, stick welding takes a bit of talent to make an acceptable weld

Comment

When I had my FToy, I carried stuff like Curtis shows for trail repairs. Works fine, but you need to use two batteries.

On board welders:

I have experience with two; Mobi Arc and Premier.

I had a Mobi Arc installed in my CJ7 and it worked fine. I removed it when I sold the CJ and I am thinking I should put it in my JK.
            http://www.perfectswitch.com/mobi-arc/

I have a Premier in my buggy and it also works fine.
            http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/
            Rich

Comment

I have been using the Ready Welder" for quite some time and highly recommend it.
              http://www.readywelder.com/

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...884397478.html
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Hook&Ladder View Post
                #2 welding wire, 8 to 10 ft. The thing to do is practice with it in your garage so you get used to it.
                I would also recommend the Ready Welder.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                  I have been using the Ready Welder" for quite some time and highly recommend it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...884397478.html
                  x2. Very easy to use.
                  Check out .

Comment

That is similar to what I carry Curtis. If you try test welding with it before you need it on the trail, I am pretty sure that like me, you'll find you need three batteries connected in series to make it weld acceptably. At least with the thicknesses of steel we most commonly need to weld on the trail. One battery isn't even close to enough & you'll find the stick will stick to the weld too easily with just two batteries. Add another short jumper cable so you can add that 3rd battery & you should be good to go.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                      Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                      x2. Very easy to use.
                      So the Ready Welder II comes with a warning.

Originally posted by Ready Welder II
                      There are two types of welding processes that you can perform with the Ready Welder II

1) M.I.G. Welding (Metal Inert Gas)
                      To weld with a shielding gas and solid wire in reverse polarity.

2) Flux Core Welding
                      To weld without inert gas using wire infused with flux. This process requires straight polarity.

You can only weld on a vehicle with the Ready Welder II in Reverse Polarity. Using the Ready Welder II in Straight Polarity could cause damage to your electrical system.

Most (96%) of all vehicles are Reverse Polarity (Negative Ground)

When welding ON a vehicle Reverse Polarity MUST be used. The only safe way to use Straight Polarity is OFF the vehicle.
                      Are you guys carrying gas on the trail, welding with flux core in reverse polarity, or just ignoring the warning?
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I disconnect the battery from jeep when welding.

Comment

Interesting about the straight polarity, I've never heard that. Did they not include warnings about disconnecting the battery or keeping your electrode and ground clamp close? Fuel tank warnings?

Almost all of the on-vehicle welding I've done (and I've done a fair amount) has been reverse polarity, but I have done a little on-vehicle straight polarity with stick and flux core without ill effect (FWIW). Like Curtis said, always disconnect the battery(ies) before welding. Always keep your ground as close to the welding as possible, not just for efficiency, but to keep the current going in a safe path between electrode and ground. Never weld with your ground clamp and your electrode on opposite sides of the vehicle, or even opposite sides of ground straps, etc.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

I have always welded with the RED light on for Flux core wire. I do disconnect my battery when using it to weld.

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                            So the Ready Welder II comes with a warning.

Are you guys carrying gas on the trail, welding with flux core in reverse polarity, or just ignoring the warning?
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                              That is similar to what I carry Curtis. If you try test welding with it before you need it on the trail, I am pretty sure that like me, you'll find you need three batteries connected in series to make it weld acceptably. At least with the thicknesses of steel we most commonly need to weld on the trail. One battery isn't even close to enough & you'll find the stick will stick to the weld too easily with just two batteries. Add another short jumper cable so you can add that 3rd battery & you should be good to go.
                              You get around adding a third battery by using smaller rod. 1/16- 5/32 6010 6011 6013 welds very nicely on two batteries. They require 20-30 amps to burn correctly which is about what you get at the stinger with two batteries. Practice makes perfect though. I like my red neck welder personally...

Edit: Besides, ready welders and the like are too damn expensive.
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X