Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a sandblaster

I need a sand blaster. I'm in Long Beach. I have 2 tandom axle trailer fenders, like this.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0839_200330839

They have a solid coat of surface rust. Hitting them with a flap wheel is taking forever. The rust is coming off ok, its the scale under the rust that is a PITA. The steel is nice and solid still. I was hoping I could hit them with a sandblaster, and save me ALOT of time, and a mess.

So, does anyone have a sandblaster, you can help me with (I will show up with a 12pk of your favorite flavored barley pop), or is there a reasonably priced small shop, that you may know of, that I can go to?

Thanks for any help, Joe
    It was like that when I got here.

See if you can find a powder coating shop near you. One of my friends has a harbor freight one but my compressor wont keep up with it. I was doing a jeep tub and not making any headway. The powder coat place down the street from me charged 150 to blast it and the hood about 15 odd years ago.
    Good luck, I hate trying to remove paint.

Scott
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
      I need a sand blaster. I'm in Long Beach. I have 2 tandom axle trailer fenders, like this.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0839_200330839

They have a solid coat of surface rust. Hitting them with a flap wheel is taking forever. The rust is coming off ok, its the scale under the rust that is a PITA. The steel is nice and solid still. I was hoping I could hit them with a sandblaster, and save me ALOT of time, and a mess.

So, does anyone have a sandblaster, you can help me with (I will show up with a 12pk of your favorite flavored barley pop), or is there a reasonably priced small shop, that you may know of, that I can go to?

Thanks for any help, Joe
      Why not use some if this rust remover stuff you can paint over?
      Mike/ Toolman showed me some stuff that he says works miracles

Comment

That funny, I was at Mike's on friday, and I didn't think to ask him, about it. LOL. What's Art referring to, Mike?

Comment

There's a prep coat that turns rust black and gives it a clear coat. The marine industry uses it. My Dad turned me on to it years ago. WestMarine sells and I can get the name of it later. I have a bottle you can try.

BTW a portable sand blaster would make a huge mess. Rustoleum makes a rust remover, no experience with it
          You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Go'n to go grab some rust remover. I flap wheel'd off the top coat. I'll see how it works on the scale underneith.

Comment

Good for the soul....just a thought...
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                Good for the soul....just a thought...
                Thats about it. The scale left by the rust is thick. I ended up, using a light touch with a grinder, to get the heavy stuff off. Then, a flap wheel to smooth it out. Then some Krud Kutter, rust remover to get what I missed. The steel was not pitted underneath. I finished and painted one today. Now I get to start number 2.

Turns out blasting them, would've cost me more then ordering a new set. So elbow grease it is. I hate grinding. :bonk:

Comment

Working...
                X