Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions....

Sorry guys but search never works out for me....here we go w/ some basic questions. I have a stock xj right now and i want to get rusty's 3 inch leaf pack lift. However, i DONT have the extra money to get a new wheel. I have the stock wheel and i've been trying to decide if i should do a 30x9.5 or a 31x10.5.....mainly will a 31x10.5 fit my stock wheel? And do you all think its worth doin 31's w/ a 3" lift? I saw pics and some look good w/ 30's to me and then again others make it look stock w/ 30's....i'm bent. Also i've been spraying my bolts w/ rust eater to loosen em up, is there anything else i need to know about doin the lift myself? i also talked to a tech at rusty's and they said i wouldnt need to lower my T/C....mainly b/c of the dana 30 the pinion is low enough to begin w/...what do you all think. Thanks for any info.

IIRC, stock XJ wheels are 7" wide... 10.5" wide tires will fit, but I wouldn't recommend it... if I was in your shoes, i'd either get the 9.5" tires, or spring for 8" wide wheels.

as far as doing the lift... PB blaster worked great for me on the sticky bolts. a set of coil spring compressors will really help make things easier- autozone has a program where you "pay" for the loaner tool up front, but you get a full refund when you return the tool... you can even keep it for 2 or 3 days and they won't give you a hard time.

regarding the driveshaft angles, you should check out tom woods' site: www.4xshaft.com - he has tons of great tech info about fixing angles and getting rid of vibes. best fix, when you can afford it, it a SYE (besides, why lift your Jeep 3", then lower the t-case 1/2"? you paid for a 3" lift, not a 2.5" )

Comment

I agree with Chuck. you can get some cheapie Black steel wheels for like $35 bucks each new. At 3 inches you shouldnt need a t-case drop, but make sure your REAR pinion angle is correct. I dont know what the dude at Rustys was talking about. As for tires, you could always get 32's and trim to fit! That was my favorite method. Make sure you have a ride to the hardware store if/when you break bolts . . . I hate Rust! Heat works well, if you have a torch. But PB Blaster works pretty good too. Good Luck!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

OH and make sure your brake lines are long enough. you dont have to get new ones, if they arnt, just relocate the old ones.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Sounds good, the kit comes w/ brake line relocation brackets so i guess i'm good there. As for the tires, do they make a 31x9.5??? A few guys have already said they dont recommend the 10.5 on a stock wheel...but its possible...so i'm still bent. I hate the look of black wheels on any car...reminds me of the junk wheel that comes on a spair tire. Whats the cheapest 8" wheel i can find that isnt black??? I can always wait another 2 weeks for another paycheck and get the wheels if i must. LOL dont want to but oh well, anyone have pics of a 3" lift w/ 30's???? Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X