Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight distribution

For years I ran with the spare tire rack and gas cans on the rear of the Cruiser. When I restored her I took the rack off, and ran with the spare tire inside her. Ran several of the Hammer trails with limited slip in the front and had no problems. With summer coming, and nothing better to do I mounted the rack back on. OMG what a difference it has made, taking weight off the front. Scotty has noticed the same results. The other day on Gold Mountain, an obstacle that I normally would have walked right up, left me stuck. It felt like the rear end was doing everything, and a young man stated that only the center of the front tires were hitting the ground. A gentleman hooked on and when he started to pull I notice that all he really did was to pull the front down so the front tires could get traction, and up the Cruiser went on its own. You wouldn't think 2-3 hundred pounds hanging off the rear would make such a difference, but it does. Just thought I'd throw this out, Kevin.

Good anecdote and observation, Kevin. I took to liking my spare strapped down flat on the bottom of the tub of my TJ, and it worked quite well like that for climbs and really all-around wheeling. It's interesting to compare what some of the desert racing guys do for weight distribution, sometimes with their spares hanging way off the back.

The deeper I get into this stuff (I'm probably an inch deep now), the more fascinating I find it. There's no single ideal for all types of terrain, driving, or vehicles, sometimes just good all-around principles and compromises.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

I concur. I removed my rear tire carrier, last year. My spare lays in the back of my TJ, and I made a custom rack to hold my gear above the tire. This is one of the best performance upgrades I've ever made. I lost about 250lbs, and my heep climbs like a billy goat, now. Weight is a major focus whenever making changes to my jeep. Like inVert'd said there is no, one way to build a jeep, but light weight, does seem to be a universal theme for all types of jeeps, for all types of wheel'n.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I've said it once and I'll say it again "I HATE TIRE CARRIERS"! A necessary evil though. I haven't had quite the traction issues you mention Kevin, but when I really load up for a long trip, the steering kinda gets exciting because of the weight shift. We just ran John Bull last weekend loaded down with camping gear and stuff. No traction problems, but you can definitely feel the extra weight pulling the Jeep down. So, take an ammo can and put all your tools and stuff in it and mount it on the front bumper. That should get you evened out
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
          I've said it once and I'll say it again "I HATE TIRE CARRIERS"! A necessary evil though. I haven't had quite the traction issues you mention Kevin, but when I really load up for a long trip, the steering kinda gets exciting because of the weight shift. We just ran John Bull last weekend loaded down with camping gear and stuff. No traction problems, but you can definitely feel the extra weight pulling the Jeep down. So, take an ammo can and put all your tools and stuff in it and mount it on the front bumper. That should get you evened out
          I was wondering what the mathematical formula would be for shifting that much weight back 30 inches from the rear axle, on a 90 inch wheel base. Probably bout doubles the weight. I was hoping to do the run across Big Bear with you guys, but I'm having a lot of back problems. The beating would of just made it miserable.

Comment

Working...
          X