Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I don't have 220 in there yet.

I figure if I could get one small enough to fit under the shelf of my work bench, that would be great, it would be out of the way. I'll look around.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

A 60 gallon would be closer to ideal, so if you can swing it, do it. On the other hand, I have to drag my compressor all over 5 acres and occasionally in the back of a truck or other vehicle, and this has worked pretty well for me for almost 4 years of being run almost daily, and sometimes for long periods of time.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55168-.../dp/B000HZI6F4
      holes = cowbell

Comment

It doesn't take a lot of air to run an impact wrench, nearly any small 110v shop compressor will run an impact wrench without problem. The types of air tools that require a higher air volume than most compressors can provide include sanders, paint sprayers, grinders, etc. But an impact wrench? Nearly any 110v shop compressor will provide more than enough air for it.

On the impact wrench itself, spend a little more and get a "double anvil" model. Harbor Freight's double-anvil 1/2" impacts work well & are a real bargain for the average weekend wrencher. The benefit to a double-anvil model is they easily produce a lot more torque than a standard single-anvil impact wrench can which is needed for differential work. I would NOT get a single-anvil impact wrench for doing any differential work, they are hit-or-miss on whether they have enough power for things like the pinion nut.

Lastly, there are two basic types of compressors... belt driven or the non-belt driven type shown in the photo immediately above. You can find either in nearly any price range. Generally speaking, a belt-driven compressor will be a LOT (!!!!) quieter than a non-belt driven compressor. A friend bought a Craftsman single-stage non-belt driven compressor like above and it will wake the dead. He can't use it at night because the neighbors complain, & they don't even like it during the day time... it is that loud, kind of like a buzz saw.

You will thank yourself later if you buy a belt driven compressor. My belt-driven compressor is still loud but it is whisper quiet compared to any non-belt driven compressor I have been around.
        Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 05-31-13, 05:02 PM.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanks Jerry, for the suggestions on both the gun and compressor :-)
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Jerry's right, but in my experience you're going to pay handsomely for a new or fresh used belt-driven compressor. Sometimes you get lucky or have connections, but that's the general rule. I wasted too much time looking for a deal on a used compressor before I bought that DeWalt. It's like shopping for a used car, but you save a lot less money.

Belt-driven/ dual-stage compressors are much quieter than single-stage /oil-free compressors, and are generally faster, but tend to be somewhat less portable. I hope to build my own one day, but it won't be out of low-end components. I think compressors and pneumatic tools are one area you tend to get what you pay for.

That little Dewalt holds 200psi in the tank and 160 at the regulator, which means more pressure for blowing stuff out, and higher capacity in a smaller tank. It's not quiet, but it's quieter than many oil-free, single-stage compressors. Not trying to sell it, but if that's the general direction you decide on, I would definitely recommend it. IIRC it's made by Devilbiss.

Once you get a decent compressor, you'll probably wonder how you got by without one.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

just figured I would add to this a tad.

PSI is also important. Most lower cost compressors will only give 100-125psi. Most impacts are rated at 90PSI or 110PSI. A smaller 125PSI compressor hooked up to say a 1/2" IR Titanium gun (known to be one of the better/best 1/2" impacts on the market), will be out performed by a 150PSI compressor feeding a cheap HF earthquake impact. Even though the IR is rated at like 700 or 900ft/lbs (or what ever claims they have now), and the earthquake is less then that and about 1/4 the cost. Most pit crews run PSI's up in the 150-175psi range. It assures power and speed.

Also, a lower cost great Impact in air is the Nitrocat brand. I was introduced to the Air/Nitro Cat line up about 10 yrs ago and have bought their new gun when they come out. I have 4 of their guns now. The first 2 were because just in case one went down, I couldnt chance not having a impact. Then about 5 yrs ago a new one and then last year their new extreme 1/2". They are in Cali and I send mine back to be freshened up on occasion and for the first 2 years they dont charge a dime, and only takes about 4 business days from the time I mail it till I get it back. Then after the 2 yr mark its been hit or miss if they charge me for anything on them. I know people like the snap on's and the IR guns, but the cats have proved to me to be top level alternates.

As for a compressor. IF you can find one used or a coupon - http://www.lowes.com/pd_53661-1126-V...sales_dollar|1
              *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Snap On CT7850

You can't take an air compressor to the junk yard
                You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

cordless, interesting. I don't want to know what the snapon costs, haha!

Comment

I have a neighbor that has a cordless snap-on impact. It looks like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-TOOL...23f9b4&vxp=mtr

He's not rich, but he's a mechanic and has a rather large investment in tools. He let me borrow it when I did the water pump in my truck about 6 months ago and the thing was awesome. It's shorter than a drill so it fits in places and has 230 ft.lb. torque which is comparable to a lot of smaller impacts.
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
                      just figured I would add to this a tad.

PSI is also important. Most lower cost compressors will only give 100-125psi. Most impacts are rated at 90PSI or 110PSI. A smaller 125PSI compressor hooked up to say a 1/2" IR Titanium gun (known to be one of the better/best 1/2" impacts on the market), will be out performed by a 150PSI compressor feeding a cheap HF earthquake impact.
                      PSI has a role but the CFM capability of a compressor is far more important. Plenty of little tiny compressors can put out extremely high PSI ratings but they don't have the CFM to drive an air tool. Same with refilling tires. A $20 Autozone tire compressor can probably put out 200 psi but it can't even come close to powering an air tool or reinflating a big Jeep tire in less than 15 minutes... not enough CFM.
                      Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 06-07-13, 05:45 PM.
                      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Adding on to the list. I have an electric Milwaukee 1/4" impact I use as a screw gun and light impact. It almost will do lug nuts on my jeep (that's too hard on it by the way). I use it with a 3/8 adapter and do most nuts and bolts. Ive played with the snap on 1/2" drive and the Milwaukee 3/8" drive. If I went back to work as a tech again I would definitely own a 1/2 and 3/8 electric. Some of my friends at my old shop picked those up and never use their air impacts anymore.
                        My york compressor and air tank kept up with my 3/8 air impact on the jeep. Now I carry my electric.
                        As for not taking a compressor to the junk yard. I saw a gas powered compressor someone mounted in a wagon as well as people lugging co2 tanks. I love my electric.

Scott
                        Come to the dark side.....
                        We have Cookies!

Comment

I've had good luck with my 1/2 dewalt corded impact. Not sure if you could find a inverter big enough to run it on the trail. A friend of mine has the new lithium Milwaukee cordless 1/2 impact, it's quite impressive also but on the expensive side.

Don't count the electrics out yet. I cant tell you how many people borrow the corded impact that don't have a compressor.

Comment

Working...
                          X