Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durango Steering box upgrade

I did this upgrade 6 years ago. It has served me well and has been rode very very hard. But the Durango box gave up the ghost. The output shaft has a lateral deflection of over 1 inch. I'm guessing it was a combination of 37" tires, the Currie steering parts being heavier and not flexing as much, and just the overall treatment I gave it during that 6 years. So I don't know if this amount of service life is a good or bad thing, but I really expected it to last longer. So for those that are thinking about doing this upgrade, take into account the things I mention above and then decide if you want to go the fairly cheap route with the Durango box, or go ahead and spend the $$$ for a PSC or other high end box. Hope this helps someone.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

That is pretty interesting. I wouldn't have expected a steering box to go that bad that quick even with a hard life on the Rat. Where was the box sourced from originally?

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
      That is pretty interesting. I wouldn't have expected a steering box to go that bad that quick even with a hard life on the Rat. Where was the box sourced from originally?
      Phi Zappa Napa...

Comment

I had the same set up except on 35's. Used an ARB up front and I think the steer binding that happens with the ARB killed my box as well. Mine only lasted about 2 yrs before it blew a seal and spewed fluid all over the place. Bearings ended up toast as well. I've since just gone back to a stock box and plan to do an hydro assist soon. The durango box IMO is over rated.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

What year jeep do you have that box in ?Was the durango box a bolt on up grade or did it take some work to get it in?

Comment

The Durango steering box has served the great 88 well so far but then again I'm only running 33" tires.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

My 2nd durango box is going bad. It is leaking at the pitman arm. It does have a bang mark at the bottom of the case at the PM arm, so maybe it just bent the seal a little at impact. So I will check it out and let you guys know.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Curtis, Fred has a whole hydro assist setup in his garage, that he wouldn't mind parting with. You should be able to make that work

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  Curtis, Fred has a whole hydro assist setup in his garage, that he wouldn't mind parting with. You should be able to make that work
                  Curtis,
                  May as well come over to the dark side now. You know you will eventually.... Just make sure that snap ring is installed correctly

Comment

Steering boxes die.

I am on my third one (on 35's or less) and based on an older RAT recommendation, I switched over to the Durango box. I have a Lifetime warranty on mine though. Forget Napa, go to Autozone for the things that you expect to die.

That said, the Durango box is not all that it is cracked up to be. It is far more sensitive on the freeway than the OEM box, and the OEM box has the same lifetime guarantee at Autozone.

I'm just not a fan of the 'upgrade' at this point. My feelings are to go Big! (PSC or the like), or stay with the OEM. My opinion could change, but this is where I am at today.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

I am rocking a stock tapped steering box and a ram and you see me pretty much like this on the trail or the street on 40's.
                      A ram takes a lot of the strain on the pitman arm and sector shaft in the steering box.

Comment

Working...
                      X