Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Op Rock Rash

I (really Kalah) took some time to "Rhino Line" the beauty ring part of my wheels as they have taken considerable abuse from the rocks; most of it was from our only visit to CB in the JK. I just recently rotated my spare on, which has never seen any rocks, so we have a baseline of what they looked like new. The first few shots are of the current state...

This is all the materials used in this little adventure of my wife. The red bag is 100% IPA that we used to get them clean, the Dremel was used to smooth out the rough parts where I'd torn chunks out so that we got a slightly smoother finished product. The sand paper we used to rough it all up to give the "Rhino Line" somewhere to grip.

Here's what they looked like new; the wife had already started taping it off though. Thankfully this was her project which gave me time to put the new motor in my winch and mount my fairlead. :rock:

Masking and painting shots; the first one was her first coat on the former spare

She's much better at this stuff, but I had to try... I wasn't near as good at it.:gak:

And here is the finished product. From a distance they look brand new again. Up close you can still see the chunks and rough parts but... Bah! That proves that it gets wheeled. :thumbsup:

And yes... Those little milled out spots to simulate the bead lock sucked to mask off, I actually had to bring the wife a few :beer: while she was doing those... Usually she's bringing em to me. :ya:

My apologies for any typos or little happy face things that didn't come through. Too lazy to type this up over and over so I was doing the copy and paste thing.
    USMC F&AM

It might not be the case (I've never used that stuff before) but seems like next time they rub up against some rocks it might peel off in large sections rather than small scrapes like regular paint? Guess we'll see how it holds up! :beer: Did it dry hard? or rubbery?
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

It dried hard so I'm hoping it hooks up well. It did well inside the YJ, but obviously wasn't too abusive. We are planning to wheel and camp this weekend so i will post up how it does.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

When should I drop my jeep off?
        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Just use a Sharpie ...... :wink:
          LG
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Looks like new. That job can get tedious, after a few trips. Just a suggestion, next time, grind off the rest of the black. That will give them an aluminum ring look. :2:
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
              When should I drop my jeep off?
              Haha, anytime. I accept payment in the form of spare parts, beer, cigars, or tequila.

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
              Just use a Sharpie ...... :wink:
              LG
              I suggested that at first but she thought that would be a horrible idea.

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
              Looks like new. That job can get tedious, after a few trips. Just a suggestion, next time, grind off the rest of the black. That will give them an aluminum ring look. :2:
              That's exactly what Curtis (I think) said... We both really like the nice little look they have, I'm thinking I may just go have them turned out here locally to be bead locks, if I can even do that.
              USMC F&AM

Comment

Working...
              X