Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unit bearing

Now that after 13 years of wheeling and I just had my first u-joint break, yay me, time for some needed front end work. I wonder, is the unit bearing/hub servicable? I have a couple of spares but before I make up some full replacement spare axles, I would like to them dialed in and good to go. I wish to clean everything up while I have it all apart. I've noticed some sqealing from the right side and the bearings are, were suspect.
    Thank you.

Unit bearings are non servicable

Comment

Thanks Art. I've trying to chase a squeal I hear when flat towing. I usually hear it when driving under an overpass or next to some of the fancy K-rails on the 15. Seem to be coming from the front tire. Maybe I can finally find it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        Thanks Art. I've trying to chase a squeal I hear when flat towing. I usually hear it when driving under an overpass or next to some of the fancy K-rails on the 15. Seem to be coming from the front tire. Maybe I can finally find it now.
        Try touching the brakes while you're driving and see if it stops squealing. Sometimes the pads are just barely touching. I've had a light squeal on a few of our vehicles and it's been the brakes.

Comment

A unit bearing will cause the brake rotor to drag on the pads when it's the outer wheel in a corner. If it only squeals turning left, check the right one and vice'-verse'. Also, the stock YJ calipers with the phenolic piston sometimes get stuck. I've actually had them lock so bad they brought the rig to a stop.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
            Try touching the brakes while you're driving and see if it stops squealing. Sometimes the pads are just barely touching. I've had a light squeal on a few of our vehicles and it's been the brakes.
            Thanks Mike, when I first read your reply I had this visual of me rolling down the highway trying to stick my hands on the brakes.:omg: ouch, ouch, ouch....Oh, you meant using the pedal while driving it. (disclaimer - I need a real long vacation)

I never hear the squeal while I am actually driving the Jeep. Only when flat towing. Maybe it's the different position I'm at when behind the engine versus in the truck. :dunno:

Like I said, now that the front will be apart I can look at everything.

Comment

A unit bearing going bad will not always deflect off-axis (wobble side to side or up and down). I had one that slid in and out about 1/8" - even with the nut tight. You could slide it by hand, but it would not let the wheel rock or wobble.
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
              X