Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

someone to tune Willys 1barrel carburetor?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someone to tune Willys 1barrel carburetor?

My Willys has a Carter 1 barrel carburetor on it, if it's not original, it's at least the type of carburetor that would have been on there. I believe the engine block & head are original, internal parts maybe rebuilt. I don't know. Either way, it's a factory spec "go devil" flathead 4cyl.

I suspect that it's maybe out of tune, it runs fine enough, but it feels a little low on power. I've already replaced/upgraded all of the ignition components and set the ignition timing as best I can, but the carburetor looks to complicated for what I want to get into. And I've never adjusted valves on an engine like this, I'd like to have those adjusted as well.

Especially now with the larger 31" tires, it has alot of trouble on long up-hill drives. Before I look into other measures of getting more power (engine swap), I'd like to see about getting it tuned properly. Maybe when it's properly tuned/adjusted it will have sufficient power.

Any suggestions on a place/person to bring it to?

Jonah, I know you said your neighbor rebuilt one of these flathead engines, how comfortable with them is he?
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

He is comfortable with tuning the carbs (although his is an F-Head not an L-Head). He said if you wanted to bring it down sometime he would be happy to give you a hand. We could at least do a compression test, maybe even a leak down test and look everything over and get an idea of what the overall condition of the motor is.

That said, even running perfect that motor is going to have a tough time keeping up with modern traffic on the freeway.

Comment

What was the horse power of that little flat head? 55? I think the overhead was 75hp, Kevin.

Comment

Remember too that you went to larger diameter tires so you gearing is different now. That will slow you down worse than an outhouse tied to your bumper
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Yep, I just want to make sure the engine is running good before I make a decision to pop a stronger motor in there :-D

Jonah, I may have a week off in early/mid March, or at least I'll have the weekends off. I'll contact you then, about swinging by sometime
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
            What was the horse power of that little flat head? 55? I think the overhead was 75hp, Kevin.
            I think a stock L-head was supposed to have 60hp and 100tq or so. I don't know what 60hp in a light weight vehicle feels like, so I don't really know if it's running strong, or not. I just know that now with the taller tires, it feels under powered for sure. Driving up through malibu to go to a friends house, one one real steep hill I had to be in 1st gear all the way up, and it was still struggling. I almost thought about going down to low range. Granted that was a very steep hill, and steeper than most roads will get, but even on some of the other hills, I was just barely able to stay in 2nd gear.

the F-head might be a possible engine swap, but they are taller, and might be difficult to fit under the hood. Though I hear it's possible. I think that would be the simplest engine swap, I don't think adapters would be needed anywhere. However, I don't think it would be alot more power, you are right, 75hp. if I blew up my engine and had to quickly replace it, that might be an option. But if I'm going to replace it for more power, I'd probably go with a V6 of some sort. Or MAYBE the 4cyl 2.0L pinto motor.

Jonah, I can go ahead and do a compression test here. I don't have a gauge, but I think pepboys rents them out (and you get your money back when you return it)
            Last edited by daniel_buck; 01-26-13, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
              I don't have a gauge, but I think pepboys rents them out (and you get your money back when you return it)
              Hey Daniel,
              I have a gauge you can use, old school type.
              Rat's got a point about tire size effect, not sure what your gears are but with 31" I'd think at least in the high 300 low 400's maybe be higher for that hp.

Comment

Daniel, when I had my '43 GPW with a 151ci. Chevy 4 cyl., 90 hp. (Novak adp. to the stock trans) it was peppy enough with 31-10.50's. If you still have the ND tires you could check to see if the "power" comes back. I had some 34-9.50 Swampers on it for a little while, it didn't do so good.

Steve
                All slow and no show

Comment

I think a stock L-head was supposed to have 60hp and 100tq or so. I don't know what 60hp in a light weight vehicle feels like, so I don't really know if it's running strong, or not. I just know that now with the taller tires, it feels under powered for sure. Driving up through malibu to go to a friends house, one one real steep hill I had to be in 1st gear all the way up, and it was still struggling. I almost thought about going down to low range. Granted that was a very steep hill, and steeper than most roads will get, but even on some of the other hills, I was just barely able to stay in 2nd gear.

the F-head might be a possible engine swap, but they are taller, and might be difficult to fit under the hood. Though I hear it's possible. I think that would be the simplest engine swap, I don't think adapters would be needed anywhere. However, I don't think it would be alot more power, you are right, 75hp. if I blew up my engine and had to quickly replace it, that might be an option. But if I'm going to replace it for more power, I'd probably go with a V6 of some sort. Or MAYBE the 4cyl 2.0L pinto motor.

Jonah, I can go ahead and do a compression test here. I don't have a gauge, but I think pepboys rents them out (and you get your money back when you return it)
                  Just Empty Every Pocket. Get out while you still can, Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ View Post
                    Hey Daniel,
                    I have a gauge you can use, old school type.
                    Rat's got a point about tire size effect, not sure what your gears are but with 31" I'd think at least in the high 300 low 400's maybe be higher for that hp.
                    I think I'll take you up on that gauge Tom, you live about as far from me as Pepboys is anyway ;-) haha!

As for the gears, the factory gears are 5.38 gears I think, and I've got no reason to assume that I have anything other than those gears, since my top speed was like 40mph when I had the old stock-sized tires and no overdrive.

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                    Just Empty Every Pocket. Get out while you still can, Kevin
                    get out? and go where!? just walk?

Comment

I think I'll take you up on that gauge Tom, you live about as far from me as Pepboys is anyway ;-) haha!
                      I'm still working nights but I can put the gauge in the mailbox, let me know when.

Comment

As for the gears, the factory gears are 5.38 gears I think, and I've got no reason to assume that I have anything other than those gears, since my top speed was like 40mph when I had the old stock-sized tires and no overdrive.

Well if that's the case you can go to 37's no problem! What are ya waitin fer???
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

my lug nuts got more torque than the motor does ;-) haha!

Comment

Working...
                          X