Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: 231 to 241 Transfer Case swap

How hard is it to swap the 231 TC with a 241 in a 2002 TJ 6 cylinder, automatic? Do you need to replace the driveshafts with longer or shorter ones. How much are the 241's - approx.

I have the Advanced Adapters rear output shaft with SYE end.

I swapped the NV231 transfer case in my 2005 TJ (6-cyl w/manual transmission) for a used Rubicon NV241OR (actually, Mr. Blaine swapped it for me) . We did not need to change anything on the input end of the TC or the front driveshaft. My 231 did not have a SYE, so I had to get a new rear driveshaft when I switched to a 241. I kept the mass vibration damper on the rear output of the 241 instead of switching to a yoke, and I kept the 1330 series u-joint at the axle pinion, so I had to make sure that the new rear driveshaft matched up at both ends. The 4WD indicator switch on a Rubicon 241 is completely different than on a 231; I have yet to get the correct one, so the 4WD light on the instrument panel doesn't light up. I bought the used 241 and both D44 axles (used) as a package; I paid about $3500 for the complete package, so I guess the TC was about $1000 of that.

My 241 transfer case came out of a Rubicon, so there was no need for any special adapters. If you get a 241 out of some other make/model vehicle, you probably would need an adapter or two or three.
    Last edited by Russ Chung; 01-24-13, 11:47 PM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

You may need to change the rear one. But change the rear damper to a yoke and you may not need to. the front is good. You can find them for 1000.00 to 1200.00, but they are becoming hard to find. my 4wd light worked on mine.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Make sure it is the "OR" not just a 241.... only the OR has the 4/1 low.

Comment

Saw this one, but it's a JK TC so don't know if it will help. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3538392412.html
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
            Make sure it is the "OR" not just a 241.... only the OR has the 4/1 low.
            They may not have OR on it. But it will say 4-1 on the tag. Not all had OR.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Good catch Curtis! Are you running one now? Did you ditch your Teralow conversion?

Comment

Yes to both.

Comment

I was thinking of a 241 out of a Rubicon. What's the opinon on the Tera Low 4:1.

Comment

You can get a 241 for the same price as a tera-low and the 241 is bullet proof. The tera-low is still a good choice but you need to keep the engine below 1500 rpm when in low gear. You also need to change the shift linkage to novak cable unit.

Comment

I had a tera low in my Cherokee, it seemed to be a little on the noisy side. From what I've been hearing they don't hold up too well though - any thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                        I was thinking of a 241 out of a Rubicon.
                        you will love the 4:1 ratio! I'm convinced that's what gets me over the rocks so easy. I hardly ever stall, and I never ride the clutch! 1/2 the time I'm not hitting any pedals at all, up hill or down.

If you get the rubicon 241, you won't need the SYE, so that may mean that you need a new rear driveshaft? I don't know for sure.

And the 241 is fatter than the non-rubi transfer case, if you've got a fairly flat skid, it's going to be a tight squeeze, but it should fit! On my UCF skid (1" lower than the frame) I had to grind a good bit of the transmission mount, and use a low profile mount adapter. I can't believe the driveshaft angle on mine, but it's doesn't bind even at full droop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUjOQCAQlaM
                        Last edited by daniel_buck; 01-25-13, 08:35 PM.
                        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Tera lo poor choice, broke mine, just like many others

Comment

I changed from the stock 231 to Rubi 241 about 6 months ago.....one of the best things I have done to the jeep....night and day difference. It just creeps along in 4lo, up hill and down, hardly having to hit the pedals.....
                            [COLOR="#FF0000"]ANGRY MIDDLE CLASS WHITE GUY![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Loser1 View Post
                              I changed from the stock 231 to Rubi 241 about 6 months ago.....one of the best things I have done to the jeep....night and day difference. It just creeps along in 4lo, up hill and down, hardly having to hit the pedals.....
                              I don't have experience with a 4:1, but I went from the stock 231 in a Jeep geared at 3.07 with 33's to a Jeep with a 5:1 atlas geared at 4.56 and 35's. As everybody here has said, dropping in your final crawl radio that much makes a huge difference. It's awesome in the rocks!
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X