Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Towing Question...

So lately I've been flat towing my wrangler with four tires on the ground and have had no problems. Front and rear diffs are open ofcourse.

This weekend, we're planning on flat towing KEvin's XJ and he's got front and rear lunchboxes installed. Before I attempt to test tow and hurt somebody, I figure I should ask the experienced: Is it possible to flat tow with the front axle locked with a lunch box locker?

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

I flat tow mine with a Detroit in the rear and a lunchbox in the front but I have locking hubs on the front. That said I don't really see how it would hurt anything, maybe try to avoid really sharp turns. If you want a little extra safety many people disconnect the driveshafts at the axle when flat towing.

Comment

Shant I flat tow mine with detroits front and rear.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        Shant I flat tow mine with detroits front and rear.
        Perfect! Thank you

Comment

The issue is;

When you put the transfer case in neutral, it does disconnect transmission BUT, in the neutral position both output shafts are now coupled together.
          The front wheels are being driven at the same RPM as the rear wheels, makes for some very interesting turns and tracking of the towed vehicle.
          You turn left into a driveway and about half way through the turn the Jeep goes "right turn Clyde"

I flat towed my old YJ that had a rear trac-loc and a front Spartan lunch box to Big Sur with my motorhome, didn't realize what was going on until I got home.

(your results may vary)

Comment

YJ's are a little different than later XJ's and TJ's

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post
              The issue is;

When you put the transfer case in neutral, it does disconnect transmission BUT, in the neutral position both output shafts are now coupled together.
              The front wheels are being driven at the same RPM as the rear wheels, makes for some very interesting turns and tracking of the towed vehicle.
              You turn left into a driveway and about half way through the turn the Jeep goes "right turn Clyde"

I flat towed my old YJ that had a rear trac-loc and a front Spartan lunch box to Big Sur with my motorhome, didn't realize what was going on until I got home.

(your results may vary)
              I know exactly what you mean as right turn Clyde and I met several times on my test tow before heading the long run. Now I make sure tow tow as wide as possible and that the front wheels of the towed vehicle has turned before attempting to continue. Would disconnecting the driveshafts at the axle make the turn easier?

Comment

YJ's do not have a true neutral in the transfercase where it disconnects the driveshafts, TJ's do and most likely any later XJ that does not have the front axle disconnect.

Comment

YJ's do not have a true neutral in the transfercase where it disconnects the driveshafts, TJ's do and most likely any later XJ that does not have the front axle disconnect.
                  How is a NP231 in a 1995 YJ different from a NP231 in a 1998 XJ or TJ ??

Comment

Would disconnecting the driveshafts at the axle make the turn easier?
                    Yes, if you remove the front drive shaft it will tow fine, and the Aussie will ratchet to let it turn like an open would.

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post
                      How is a NP231 in a 1995 YJ different from a NP231 in a 1998 XJ or TJ ??
                      They have a true neutral where the front driveshaft is not connected to the rear driveshaft. What you stated just applies to YJ's and older XJ's with the front axle disconnect on those a true neutral was not needed since that got done in the front axle

Comment

I know exactly what you mean as right turn Clyde and I met several times on my test tow before heading the long run. Now I make sure tow tow as wide as possible and that the front wheels of the towed vehicle has turned before attempting to continue. Would disconnecting the driveshafts at the axle make the turn easier?
                        What year and model are you referring to ?

Comment

I wonder how lunch boxl lockers would make any difference? They only engage when they have torque going to them, right? I don't think rolling down the road in flat-tow would engage them, same as coasting going around a corner with no throttle, they won't engage, right?

I don't know, just speculating. And wondering why
                          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I don't think rolling down the road in flat-tow would engage them, same as coasting going around a corner with no throttle, they won't engage, right?
                            That is correct, they would be able to ratchet in a coasting condition with no accel or decel load. Here is the BUT again, if the front and rear drive shafts are inter-connected and spinning at the same rpm, when the front wheels need to travel a lesser distance as in a turn, they are now under an accel LOAD from the rear wheel speed and they want to go straight ahead via the lunch box.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey here.

I am going to check the NP231 in my current XJ (non CAD) and see if it does have a "true neutral" as Art indicated or if it is the same as my 95' model, CAD was.

I have a need to know mind, not looking to call BS on anyone, especially someone who has spent as many years with his hands up a Heep's ass as Art has.

Comment

FWIW: I have towed my ft & re DL equiped '85 CJ-7 all over the western USA. NO issues.
                              I do pull the rear DS to save the T/case output bearing.
                              LG
                              Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Working...
                              X