Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: JK D/W ball joint opinions?

Well the limo finally developed death wobble. Guess Jeep engineers had to have something for the JK to compare with the Dana 35.
    What I've found is Dynatrac ball joints for $500+ (not gonna happen). The Alloys are 4140 steel and the Polys are 4340. Not sure what Moog uses. This one is staying stock, so I don't need to overbuild, just upgrade.
    Looking at warranties... Synergy Poly Performance - $250 shipped - 12 Mo. Unlimited
    Alloy USA - $180 - None that I can find
    Moog (through O'Reilly) - $292 - Limited Lifetime
    They Synergies have a strong following with the 37" crowd, but the lifetime warranty sounds appealing. Then again the price point of the Alloys makes a good argument. Anyone have opinions or insight?
    Last edited by 6spdYJ; 12-29-12, 09:52 PM.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

I have been through 2 sets of crowns and one set of OEM. I have been running the Synergy ones since they came out with Zero issues.
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Synergy thru Northridge 4x4, no tax, no shipping costs
      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Ordered today. Thanks for the input.
        -sons of thunder

Comment

I need ball joints for my TJ. I was about to buy a set of Synergy ball joints, but then I saw this thread on J/F that said don't buy Synergy, so I don't know who to believe! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...oints-3548290/
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

Sounds like you want the Spicer ones if I read that right. Sounds like Blaine has had good experience with them, so I would probably use them. One of these days I am going to have to do mine. I have about 55K on my JK Rubicon, plus another 35-40K flat towing behind my motorhome. Every once in a while I get a bit of a wiggle out of the front end. It usually goes away. I run 35s.
            Rich

Comment

Russ, I have the Synergy's in the JK. They were pretty tight to press in. IIRC they had straight knurling in the body above the shoulder where they go into the C. It seems they are intended for rigs that have already been used hard and may have had wear in the bosses. I have had no issues with the quality.
              G2 also has ball joints:
              http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...n=G/269-2051-4
              All I know about them is the price point is better than what I paid for the Synergy's.
              -sons of thunder

Comment

I just priced the moogs at orielly yesterday .120.00 for all.there just o.e.m.replacement though.

Comment

I have MOOG ball joints now, and I'm not impressed with their relatively short life span. In 2009, I upgraded from a Dana 30 front axle to a Dana 44; the D44 axle was stock so I assume it had Spicer ball joints. In 2013, after 105,000 miles on the axle, I upgraded to a Vanco Big Brake Kit. One of the ball joints had a small amount of play but since I had everything apart to install the Vanco kit, I decided to replace all four ball joints with MOOG ball joints. Since then I've driven 65,000 miles, and three of the four MOOG ball joints need to be replaced. I'm running 33" tires.

After reviewing the comments in this discussion and the comments in the J/F discussion, I believe that a premium after market ball joint such as the Synergy or the G2 would make sense if you do rock crawling, have big tires, plan to run the King of the Hammers, can pay the $$ and are willing to trade off the extra strength for the wear on the C bracket. I think that the Spicer ball joints make more sense for my daily driver. The price for Spicer and MOOG ball joints are about the same and even though MOOG has a lifetime warranty at O'Reilly Auto Parts, the labor involved in replacing the MOOG ball joints more frequently than the Spicer ball joints outweighs the value of the warranty.
                  Last edited by Russ Chung; 12-25-15, 08:56 PM.
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

I went with the Synergy for two reasons - 1: the only ones stronger at the time were rebuildables at over $600. And 2: I only wanted to do it once - especially since JK's have death wobble as a mandatory OEM feature.
                    If it were me, I'd compare the price point of the G2's to a set of Moogs. I'm a cheapskate but I'll throw money at quality.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

it was a good choice. I installed a set of synergy after wearing out the stockers at 29000 miles on 35's. I also put heavy 38's on at that same time and have since put 45000 miles on the ball joints with no issues.
                      they go in tight. I froze the ball joints, welded the truss kit on the inner C, and popped them in while the C was still hot.
                      I rarely get death wobble. If I do it is because something is worn.
                      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

I've had stock, moog, and now synergy joints on my TJ rubi 44. With 35s I've had moog and synergy. I'm not really sure the synergy's have lasted much longer than the moogs. On one side, I'm on my 2nd set of Synergy joints.
                        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
                        X